Blichmann Hop Rocket or Hop Basket for filtration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTolino

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a little input on filtration. I am getting a lot of trub in my fermenter, I know trub is to be expected, but it seems to be quite a bit. I believe that its because we are not filtering between the kettle and the fermenter. I am looking at two options:
First I am looking at the hop basket from Adventures in Homebrewing. It is a 300 micron 6"x14" stainless steel basket that you put your hops in during the boil. You can also pump your wort through it so it can act like a filter. It hangs on the side of your kettle.
Second Options I am looking at is the Blichmann Hop rocket. I was thinking about using this as a kind of inline filter/hopback in between the kettle and the pump. This way I can get the nice hops aromas, with out having to throw a bunch of late boil additions in. I'm kind of leaning this direction, because it can also be used as a Randalizer for my tap system.

What does everyone think? The hop basket is cheaper at $75 and can be used to filter after mashing as well as after boiling, but running the wort through it might oxidize. The HopRocket is more expensive at $125, but has multi-functionality. Has anyone worked with any of these products?

The hop basket is for all your hops, not just aroma hops.
The HopRocket is only for aroma hops.

Yeah but the hop Rocket can act as a filter while it adds aroma hops

The holes in it are the same as the blichmann hop blocker, so it shouldn't clog.

I use both a spider and an inverted Hop Rocket sans the high flow insert to filter, (stole the idea from Tasty McDole) it works very well as a combination. I end up with a puck made of whole leaf hops, trub, and whatever hop debris escaped the spider.

Back