Blichmann Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptpeter15

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering when it would be the correct time to get rid of the yeast off the bottom of my fermenter? Should I do it after 7 days or right before I keg? I'm brewing a blonde ale. thanks

My philosophy is that my conical allows me to do primary and secondary fermentation in the same vessel. Therefore, I don't want to dump the yeast, until it's done it's job, i.e. fermentation has finished.

ok, thank you very much. I wasn't sure if there was any benefit to dumping a week early or not.

ptpeter - I think there are several advantages to conicals, but definitely among them are the freedom to dump the solid bottoms to potentially remove yeast that may have died or become inactive, as well as to remove other solids that float to the bottom. This holds in the case of most ales, which typically flocculate at the top. In the case of lagers, which floc at the bottom, you could dump active yeast. I would think that after 1-2 weeks you could dump the bottoms and then continue to "2ndary" in the same conical, if desired.

Back