Blichmann Burner problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
I purchased a Blichmann burner at the end of June last year. It worked well for about 6 times and then flames shot out of where the hose connects to the burner when I was using it and then started to come out of the oxygen port. Major safety issue!!
zktiFed.jpg

I contacted the retailer, who contacted Blichmann and they told me to watch their burner connection video and make some changes and try again.

I did that and the same thing happened.

After a couple of weeks Blichmann sent me a new cast iron burner (simply the banjo part) which I don't even think was the problem. I finally got around to opening the box, (btw - I found the burner was simply thrown in there with one sheet of bubble wrap) I took the burner out I noticed this
5giUcaj.jpg
Yes, a large hole in the cast iron! That doesn't seem very safe either, does it?

Just looking at it again, I noticed there we also two burner holes that were solid and not punched out.

Where is the quality control on these items? Not very impressed at all. I have again contacted the retailer where I purchased the burner and waiting to hear a response. Will let everyone know the details.

Don't have personal experience with their products, but almost everyone I meet who has only has negative things to say.

I believe they get their burners from Banjo just like the rest of us. I bought three BG14s for my single tier and the quality was terrible.

That being said, looking at your photos ! I see a couple of possibilities. The first is that you should open your oxygen damper to wide open. Turn it until the holes are fully open, right now it looks to be halved, which can result in blowback.

Second what kind of regulator are you using? I believe the Blichmann burners are setup for high pressure, you need to make sure you have the pressure on your regulator turned up high enough or you'll get blowback.

Third, get a compressed air hose and blow back through the burner, also consider getting a brush that will fit through the oxygen vent. Spiders love to build nests in these burners (they are attracted to the benzene compounds) and everytime thats happened to me it results in blowback.

Try these on your original burner before going any further.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Second what kind of regulator are you using? I believe the Blichmann burners are setup for high pressure, you need to make sure you have the pressure on your regulator turned up high enough or you'll get blowback.

I am using the Blichmann regulator

Does that have adjustable pressure (a knob on it)? If so try cranking it up a bit and opening your air inlet.

I have not had any issues with the burner (yet) although I have only used it twice, but I would suggest to change the hose for a new one, for safety reasons and to open the oxygen inlet (almost entirely).

The way I use it is to open the gas and the regulator just to a bare minimum so the gas can flow steadily, and after igniting it and seeing there is a flame start adjusting the regulator, but I would not recommend you to open it entirely.

Please let us know about their response, thank you.

I use the same burner every brew day. Over 10 brews. Zero problems. I would be frustrated if had those problems.

I have had the burner and used it for 3 brews so far. No issues so far.

I did notice that the packaging of the shipment was absolutely abysmal. It was in an old, damaged soft box. Several of the smaller items were just loose inside there, not taped to anything and free to smack around inside. The assembly and usage instructions also contained typos and unclear pictures and directions for assembly.

Fortunately, the burner itself has worked great for me so far - a huge upgrade from the turkey fryer burner I used to use. I will report back if I experience any of the issues you are experiencing, OP.

I was serious about checking for spider nests. What you have sounds like a hose leak or a blockage in the Venturi.

He was talking about critters nesting up in the casting. Wasps also like to nest in them also.
Remove the air inlet adjustment plate along with the hose and nozzle. Shine a light up in there and see if you can see anything.

That being said, looking at your photos ! I see a couple of possibilities. The first is that you should open your oxygen damper to wide open. Turn it until the holes are fully open, right now it looks to be halved, which can result in blowback.

Third, get a compressed air hose and blow back through the burner, also consider getting a brush that will fit through the oxygen vent. Spiders love to build nests in these burners (they are attracted to the benzene compounds) and everytime thats happened to me it results in blowback.

Try these on your original burner before going any further.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Definitely worth dusting it out with compressed air.

If you had flames coming from between the hose crimp to the wire mesh get the hose replaced. Sounds like the hose crimp has weakened. Most shops that sell and make hydraulic hoses can do propane and NG hoses.

Do you disconnect the hose from the burner for storing?

I have had zero problems with my burner (2 years now). FWIW I always fire my burner with the regulator cracked open and the oxygen damper left where I last used it with no problems at all. Only problem has been the user (me) remembering to turn it down (2 turns open to 1 turn open) once the boil starts.

Back