Blichmann Boilermaker G2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
day_trippr, do you mean there is a way to place an order for G1 NON-blemished kettles at this time? Do tell...

I don't know about "at this time", I got my order in a couple of weeks ago.

The lhbs owner was going hammer and tong with the Blichmann people, it took a few days to confirm that they were sitting on some stock of G1 20g kettles and they'd be assembled and shipped in a couple of weeks. Not a word about "blemished" at any point, the sale was at the regular price for this store (modest discount from msrp) and the lhbs owner knows he'd be dealing with a crazy person if they show up with discernible defects...

Cheers!

I don't get it, G2 are what is coming up, can't do anything about it, right now you STILL can get G1 with some "blemish" at a discount price, (look like it's the only easy way to get em) I just got 2 20Gallons AND a false bottom for below 900$ and I'm still trying to spot the blemish...( and yes, I bought brand spanking new, no defects 10 gallons before) so why the flaming, it's look like G2 are a fact, live with it... and Blichmann customer service are second to none, just my 1500$...

Ummm, yeah.

Let's see...three 20g kettles and a pair of false bottoms, a $1500 expenditure, hanging on a two cent opinion.

What to do, what to do...

Cheers! ;)

Toby, I hear lots of positive comments on blemished kettles, and I wish I was that lucky, however, my experience was different. :(
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/these-blichmann-boilermaker-cosmetic-defects-455353/

And purely mentally, after paying $400-500 I should not be looking at a blemished product. These kettles are overpriced to begin with, so they set high expectations. Blichmann needs a serious competition.

However, I may still bite a bullet and play 'blemished' lottery to match my MLT. :(
Sorry to hear that, but I did say 'generally'. ;) Some of them are going to be obviously blemished I'm sure, but with the discount I received on mine (I paid less than my new 20 for my blemished 30), it was a hard deal to pass up. And the LHBS was upfront about it the whole time.

As per the cosmetic defect kettles. I ordered the 20 Gal back in April or so from AIH. It was flawless. I could not find anything wrong anywhere. I ordered a 15 Gal in the beginning of August. I was hoping that I would have the same luck. Well, not so much. I immediately noticed a large dent below the ball valve. OK, so that's my defect. Cool, I can live with that. I put the lid on and noticed that it slid all over the place. Not cool. I inserted the false bottom and it did not seal all the way around. I contacted the seller and they contacted Blichmann. Well, apparently out of round is considered a cosmetic defect even though it affects the function of the lid. They also said that the false bottom seals on the bottom and not the sides. OK that I am alright with. It is just the fact that the lid does not seat properly and if bumped slides everywhere. So according to Blichmann I have a working pot. Well the store said I could try bending it back myself, which I did. Just didn't want to have to do that with a $377 pot. Also the Auto Sparge hole was punched for my by Blichmann. Well, where they punched the hole it dented the pot, and they left a nice burr that I will have to file out. Luckily I now have my complete matching Breweasy system, so whatever I will live with it. Had I known all of that about the 15 gallon I received I would have just paid 10% more for a new one. Unfortunately that was no longer an option when I ordered.

will see how it goes, got my 2 20s and they are perfect, just ordered a 15, hoping for the best....and btw, AIH have free shipping on those and even if drop shipped from Blichmann, usually 4 days after ordering, brown truck knock on the door!

As per the cosmetic defect kettles. I ordered the 20 Gal back in April or so from AIH. It was flawless. I could not find anything wrong anywhere. I ordered a 15 Gal in the beginning of August. I was hoping that I would have the same luck. Well, not so much. I immediately noticed a large dent below the ball valve. OK, so that's my defect. Cool, I can live with that. I put the lid on and noticed that it slid all over the place. Not cool. I inserted the false bottom and it did not seal all the way around. I contacted the seller and they contacted Blichmann. Well, apparently out of round is considered a cosmetic defect even though it affects the function of the lid. They also said that the false bottom seals on the bottom and not the sides. OK that I am alright with. It is just the fact that the lid does not seat properly and if bumped slides everywhere. So according to Blichmann I have a working pot. Well the store said I could try bending it back myself, which I did. Just didn't want to have to do that with a $377 pot. Also the Auto Sparge hole was punched for my by Blichmann. Well, where they punched the hole it dented the pot, and they left a nice burr that I will have to file out. Luckily I now have my complete matching Breweasy system, so whatever I will live with it. Had I known all of that about the 15 gallon I received I would have just paid 10% more for a new one. Unfortunately that was no longer an option when I ordered.

That is exactly why I don't want to play "cosmetic defect pot" lottery.
Blichmann has created artificial shortage of G1 pots so that they can sell their remaining inventory of defective kettles that people would not buy otherwise.
In one dick corporate move Blichmann alienated so many consumers.

I was impatiently waiting for Boilcoil to come out for about a year, and was holding out on the G1 pot purchase because of that delay - and now I can not get a (G1 matching) kettle to install one into.

THAT made me think long and hard about whether I want to spend $170 on proprietary immersion heating element with 1 year warranty.
And when it burns out say 2 years later I will have to come back and buy a replacement for $170 or close to that?
Will boilCoil be available 2 years from now for G1 kettles? :confused:

Given above considerations, I am going with generic water heater element in my brew pots.

FWIW, I don't really like the way the lid sits on my non-defective 15 gal Blichmann G1 pot - it is relatively easy to slide around and it seems like design "feature".
In contrast the lid on my Megapot seals well and stay in place a lot better because the lid has deeply stamped edge.

Blichmann has created artificial shortage of G1 pots so that they can sell their remaining inventory of defective kettles that people would not buy otherwise.

Artificial shortage? How do you figure?

A comment not to you specifically but just this thread as a whole: I don't get all the complaining about a vendor choosing to discontinue one product and introduce another which in their opinion is an improvement. Blichmann is in the business of selling brewing gear, they're obviously making decisions that they think will sell more. Their sales (or lack of) will determine if they made the right decision.

These pots have been around forever, it's not like they have the 8-month lifespan of an iPhone.

[...]I don't get all the complaining about a vendor choosing to discontinue one product and introduce another which in their opinion is an improvement. Blichmann is in the business of selling brewing gear, they're obviously making decisions that they think will sell more. Their sales (or lack of) will determine if they made the right decision.

These pots have been around forever, it's not like they have the 8-month lifespan of an iPhone.

I don't get why people don't understand that when an iconic product that pretty near any home brewer might aspire to own completely changes that someone's probably going to talk about it, and some people won't be fans of the completely changed product.

Yup...hard to understand why some people don't get it...

Cheers!

I don't get why people don't understand that when an iconic product that pretty near any home brewer might aspire to own completely changes that someone's probably going to talk about it, and some people won't be fans of the completely changed product.

Cheers!

It's fine to say you don't like the new product (even though nearly none of us have even seen it) but the general tone of the thread is there's some grand Blichmann conspiracy to screw over homebrewers and that consumers were owed "advance notice" of their decision to change the product line. I'm sure they just want to sell as many G1, G2, G-whatever pots as they can.

It's fine to say you don't like the new product (even though nearly none of us have even seen it) but the general tone of the thread is there's some grand Blichmann conspiracy to screw over homebrewers and that consumers were owed "advance notice" of their decision to change the product line. I'm sure they just want to sell as many G1, G2, G-whatever pots as they can.

I might have missed all those thoughts in the thread, but I don't share them...

Cheers!

I might have missed all those thoughts in the thread, but I don't share them...

Cheers!

Jpalarachio is right - those sentiments have been made multiple times in this thread. I share his opinion but I also understand how someone in the process of building out a system piece meal over time would be upset at the loss of consistency in their build.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No, the general tone of the thread is surprise that they sprung this seemingly out of nowhere and simply didn't consider existing customers that may have been in the middle of developing a coherent system. Not a conspiracy, but certainly weird, considering that other products have been announced over a year in advance. I went to the Blichmann booth at NHC in June and I don't recall seeing anything to do with the G2s even though they had to be in the pipe at the time. Ultimately the market will decide.

Well we have a G2 in the store...... Not impressed, you made it a more expensive polar ware kettle. The lid and kettle rim are no longer rolled and have sheet edges. The valve is as dangerous as I thought: you can unknowingly unscrew the plug with hot wort on the other side resulting in a safety issue. Piss poor blichmann. Oh and it costs more!

How do you unknowingly unscrew a plug?

That is good feedback about the edges. I'd call that a downgrade.

How do you unknowingly unscrew a plug?

That is good feedback about the edges. I'd call that a downgrade.

If for instance you had a G1 it uses a 90deg ball valve, you can see that it's open by looking at the handle position. If there is no flow then it must be a clog in the diptube.

The new valve has no indication that it's fully open, so if you keep opening the valve you will unscrew the valve plug/ seat from the valve body. There should be a set screw added so you can't do this. It's dangerous. Also instead of Teflon ball seat in a ball valve that's lasts a long time, now you have silicone prongs that rub against the valve body as a seal, big wear item.

All in all I had over 20 customers look at the G2 and only 2 said they liked it over the G1, then those two changed their mind when I told them they cost $20-$25 more.

I don't get it, G2 are what is coming up, can't do anything about it [...]and Blichmann customer service are second to none, just my 1500$...

You can do something...not buy it and voice your opinion like many are. It's this kind of thinking that keeps a company like this going. They're not the only choice out there. They're not even the most quality choice out there. They're nothing but a brand name anymore. A company can only survive if it's profitable. If they don't provide what the consumer wants, they go bankrupt. The way things have been going with blichmann, it looks like they're really hurting (or it's pure greed) for more profits. The problem is instead of upping their game, they cheapen manufacturing and lessen the profit for the retailer. So we as the consumer, and the retailers who sell the product suffer while blichmann gets higher profits.

And their customer service is second to a lot. They will help when it's beneficial for them. Once it's not, take a hike jack. Customer service second to none will get the situation taken care of regardless. So don't BS anyone about that.

Here's how the customer service conversation goes over there at Blichmann: Blichmann customer service rep: "I'm sorry your pot if full of blemishes and has fallen apart, but has the blichmann sticker come off? No? Well then sir, you do not have a defected product. You paid for the name, and the name is still attached. Your warranty claim is rejected."

However, I may still bite a bullet and play 'blemished' lottery to match my MLT. :(

And this is what they hope for, "I don't like the situation. But hell, I'll give them my money anyway...."

Blichmann: If you see this (I know you and your guys read these), hurry up and drop ship my pot! It's been a week already :) Check my user name and you will recognize my real name on your waiting list.

Hah, took a month to get my boil coils and rims from AIH. I also got Zero communication even though it said 2-3wks. Then when I inquire, they blame blichmann. They kept saying I'll get confirmation once it ships... Nope. Just when I was at my last straw of getting a shaft after inquiring, it showed up. I only got excuses blaming blichmann for everything.

There's a huge disconnect between the way blichmann does business and doesn't communicate to retailers. It's a joke and frustrating on the consumer level, but I'm sure it's cheaper for blichmann this way... So keep on collecting that hard earned $$$ from us homebrewers. I suspect blichmann won't be around much longer as they are.

Artificial shortage? How do you figure?

A comment not to you specifically but just this thread as a whole: I don't get all the complaining about a vendor choosing to discontinue one product and introduce another which in their opinion is an improvement. Blichmann is in the business of selling brewing gear, they're obviously making decisions that they think will sell more. Their sales (or lack of) will determine if they made the right decision.

You don't get it? You don't get that people don't want to be forced into this new ugly pot? You don't understand how businesses operate by selling what people want vs what they think people should have? You don't see how everything blichmann has been doing does nothing to up their game and provide us, as a consumer, with more or a better option? No, it's to cut costs and improve profits. EVERYHING they do is about $$$, but they go about it in a terrible way.

You joke about iPhone, but that's a product that made history on so many levels. Blichmann could only dream to be a company like apple. The major difference is apple innovates and sells what people want. Apple also sells pretty. Blichmann thinks they sell pretty, but their equipmentt shows up with marks, scratches, imperfections, crappy craftsmanship and quality control. I always have to file sharp edges from blurred metal...etc. Blichmann takes the Microsoft approach and sells what they think people should have while charging a premium and dropping quality... Big mistake.

Take a look at this video. It explains this situation VERY WELL.

http://youtu.be/ZsxQxS0AdBY

It's not about real quality. It's about PRERCEPTION of quality. Blichmann is perceived as quality due to many factors, but the bottom line is they're not. Watch that video and understand how it really is. With blichmann's obsession with patents and trademarks, that video fits their business model to a T

I'm so over blichmann. I'll put this out there now. I have THREE G1 boilermakers all in great shape. I have two 20 gal and one 15 gal. I also have 15 gal and 20 gal false bottoms (so I'll only sell one pot with no false bottom). I live in Portland Oregon. I will gladly sell these things. I will sell them only if all three sell (doesn't have to be the same person, but I need them all sold at once before I commit.) I also need enough for me to buy a new kettles from a different company.

I also have two therminator chillers (one in perfect shape. One that works perfect, but has some thread damage)

I already sold the conical

So PM if you really want to work a deal out.

You don't get it? You don't get that people don't want to be forced into this new ugly pot?

Nope, I don't. No one is forced into buying anything. As you stated, there are plenty of alternatives on the market.

--

I really don't share your energy to respond to your other flawed points. You're obviously pretty fired up and logic seems to have been lost.

Blichmann releases a new product that a few people in a thread don't like and as a result you're going to sell all your current Blichmann gear (surely at a loss), purchase new equipment from another vendor and rebuild your entire setup? Sorry, skeptical...

Not enough talk about the actual product itself and too much complaining about perceived business practices. I'm done with this thread.

Well said. As for the customer support, it is only as good as your retailer. Blichmann expects us, the retailer to be front line support with absolutely no training provided by them, how are we to help a consumer troubleshoot an issue with a product when all the information we have is by looking at the same site all of you look at? Why can't they have a lessons learned, a FAQ or a retailer phone number so we can speak to Blichmann? Yes that's right, we email them just as you do. They don't want us calling. Take it for what it is, but these are facts and not opinions.

You decide

Nope, I don't. No one is forced into buying anything. As you stated, there are plenty of alternatives on the market.

--

I really don't share your energy to respond to your other flawed points. You're obviously pretty fired up and logic seems to have been lost.

Blichmann releases a new product that a few people in a thread don't like and as a result you're going to sell all your current Blichmann gear (surely at a loss), purchase new equipment from another vendor and rebuild your entire setup? Sorry, skeptical...

Not enough talk about the actual product itself and too much complaining about perceived business practices. I'm done with this thread.

Yup... Plenty of other choices. And that's where the money should flow. And that's why I'm selling my blichmann gear. Adios to you, adios to blichmann.

Overall I think the new pot looks like an improvement. However, I agree with everyone else here that there should have been more warning that a change was coming, especially for those of us looking to complete our set.

On August 5th I was busy at work and I got an e-mail from MoreBeer introducing the new G2. I wasn't expecting this at all so I contacted my HBS (not local anymore unfortunately) of choice and asked the owner what he knew. Sure enough, G1 was cancelled immediately and G2 was the only way to go. I was a few months away from buying my 3rd vessel but knew I had to act immediately. Later on that day I was able to get a 20G G1 "blemish" shipped my way. I won't need it for another 4-5 months and hated to shell out the ~$400 prematurely, but knew if I didn't the aesthetics of my electric brewery could never be realized.

Not ideal but at least I was able to get it before everyone ran out.

Blichmann releases a new product that a few people in a thread don't like and as a result you're going to sell all your current Blichmann gear (surely at a loss), purchase new equipment from another vendor and rebuild your entire setup?
I'm in the opposite camp. Up until the surprise G2 release, I was going to add a 15 and a BrewEasy kit to my 20 and sell my 30 to pay for it. Now, I'm just going to rework my existing kettles into my own version of a BrewEasy.

Any one have one yet? I am looking for pics of this non rolled lid and is it possible to retrofit with a ball valve?

I will post pics tomorrow.

Looking forward to it.

I currently own a 20g and 15g+false bottom. I use the 15g as my HLT but was planning to buy a 20g HLT as part of an upgrade to a HERMS system and move the 15g to replace my igloo cooler as a MLT.

If the non-rolled edges don't look good in addition to the concerns about the valve screwing all the way out with hot/boiling liquid in the kettle then I will gladly look elsewhere for my 20g HERMS HLT.

Matching finish doesn't matter to me in the least.

Wow the top's handle is just tack welded? So are you saying that basically that valve just unscrews to open and you continue to unscrew to take it apart? There's no stop or anything? Can it be replaced with a standard 3-way valve?

The new valve has no indication that it's fully open, so if you keep opening the valve you will unscrew the valve plug/ seat from the valve body. There should be a set screw added so you can't do this. It's dangerous.
This one really surprises me. There has to be something we're overlooking as this would indeed be a giant safety issue. I wonder if the valve you got is defective or not correct?

I, like many others, have hoses attached and use pumps with ball valves to control flow (all 3 kettles are at the same height as it's the easiest/best way to work ergonomically).

At the end of the boil I open up the boil kettle valve all way but nothing flows right away as the pumps and their ball valves manage the flow rate.

It cannot be by design that if I turn this new valve open too far that all of sudden 212F boiling wort is going to squirt out against the operator. The new valves come threaded so they know that people can or are going to be attaching other plumbing bits/hoses.

Having the knob come off creating an exit path for the fluid is no different than allowing the handle come off your ball valve and doing the same, or allowing your kitchen faucet handle come off and squirt water in the air. Nobody would purposely design something like that.

We have to be overlooking something here.

Kal

Wow the top's handle is just tack welded? So are you saying that basically that valve just unscrews to open and you continue to unscrew to take it apart? There's no stop or anything? Can it be replaced with a standard 3-way valve?

The old handle is tack welded also. The sharp edges is what disturbs me. Might as well buy a Polerware pot it's basically the same quality

The valve isn't broken, YES you can unscrew it completely with no stops, how hard would it be to drill a hole and put a set screw in there?

It wouldn't, but simplicity isn't the issue. It would cost more money to do. As we've seen in other products from blichmann, saftey takes a back seat to profits.

Thanks for posting the video.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get how this can be considered as safe/acceptable.

I could see someone turning to open the valve to allow flow down through their hose to some other system like a chiller or something, and not getting any flow they keep turning and turning, not realizing that they have a valve closed down stream somewhere. Next thing you know they've turned far enough that the valve pops off and they have third degree burns from boiling wort.

I find it perplexing that this would have been allowed, considering the opposite concerns Blichmann had with the electric RIMS rocket by adding a pressure relief valve at the last minute.

Kal

That kettle is not something I would pay MORE for than the G1. There are lots of good options out there these days.

I wonder if Blichmann is losing money on some of their other projects and figured they could squeeze a little extra out of their cash cow.

Thanks for posting the video.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get how this can be considered as safe/acceptable.

I could see someone turning to open the valve to allow flow down through their hose to some other system like a chiller or something, and not getting any flow they keep turning and turning, not realizing that they have a valve closed down stream somewhere. Next thing you know they've turned far enough that the valve pops off and they have third degree burns from boiling wort.

I find it perplexing that this would have been allowed, considering the opposite concerns Blichmann had with the electric RIMS rocket by adding a pressure relief valve at the last minute.

Kal

You find this is perplexing, but you think the pressure relief valve they added to the rims rocket provides any type of safety from 3rd degree burns???

I'm still curious about what happened to the video about the valve. Did Blichmann shut it down? Also, can the traditional ball valve be used instead without any mods to the pot or not?

The new valve on the G2 really concerns me. I could easily see myself turning the knob, trying to figure out why I'm not getting as much flow as wanted, and burning myself very badly. What is the rationale with the new valve over a traditional ball valve? Is there a benefit?

Well, there's the manufacturer's stated benefit - more linear flow control.
Would that affect anyone's decision when buying a kettle?

It's like the plastic handles. Are they useful?
Do people running 15 gallon or larger kettles pick them up filled, never mind when hot?

And wanna bet every kettle still ships with a warning not to move when filled?

The whole thing is bizarre...

Cheers!

Cheers!

Oh lordy, here we go again with the dramatization...

Completely changed? It's an effing pot, it's used to boil liquid, but now it is completely different? Let's see, the major changes are they attempted to come up with a new valve design, changed the handles and lid, and moved production for the < 30 gal pots TO THE USA. The sight glass, thermo, size, and shape are for the most part identical or very similar to the previous model. So yea, completely different, like, I don't even recognize that it's a kettle anymore. (It must be true if I bold my words for effect) :rolleyes:

If you want to stick it to Blichmann, here's how, don't buy one! My guess? There's a good chance that 99% of the homebrewing community aren't reading this thread or forum and won't have any issues buying and using a G2 kettle. If I'm wrong, then their sales will plummet and they will be forced to act.

Another thing, where are all the folks that complain about overseas manufacturing? Where's the praise for doing what most of us want by bringing more jobs back here? They brought production of these pots back to the good ol USA, and apparently that counts for nothing because "I am upset because now I can't get what I WANT".

This fact has for the most part been completely overlooked other than a few mentions in this thread. If you hadn't noticed, most things cost more to manufacture in this country, so maybe the handles for example were a way to offset the cost? Isn't this a good thing? Shouldn't we all as grown men and women be able to handle not getting exactly what we think we deserve in lieu of production happening in our own back yard?

Back