Blichmann Boilerkettle & Equipment Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently picked up a 10g Blichmann Boilerkettle off of craigslist. I thought it would help me out with my brew days but at this point I'm mostly confused. I currently have the 10g Blichmann, a 10g Home Depot round mash tun, and a stainless steel pot (probably about 8g).

Here are my issues:

I don't know how to best use the Blichmann. I have tried it as my boilkettle and the size is great for 5g batches, but the set up of the transfer system seems weird. Basically when I have gone to transfer the wort to the fermenter it seems to be sucking out all the trub. Do I have to buy the hopblock to prevent this?

Also, it seems to leave about .5 gal at the bottom that won't come out with just gravity. I don't have a pump, so I have just been hooking up a hose and letting gravity do the work. Is this just something you have to account for? Up til this point I have just cool the wort and poured it straight into the fermenter and stop when i see the trub starting to come out.

I've tried to find some youtube videos that simply outline the various uses of a blichmann boilerkettle but haven't had much luck.

Generally on bigger kettles you have to account for equipment loss for volume. Beersmith or similar software usually has it built in

I bought my 1st Blich as a Mash Tun, I like to do multi-temp rests, and the false bottom is great.

Hope Santa's bringing me a 20G kettle, I didn't put a HopBlocker on my list, so we'll see.

Whirlpool with a mash paddle or spoon at knockout and wait ten minutes for trub to collect in center then drain. You will have to account for loss plus/minus .5 gallons usually. You can also install a whirlpool or drain dip tube.

Back