Blending yeast strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moerdertaktiken

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was planning on brewing a traditional Hefe today, and ran into a little snag that turned into what seems like a good idea to me. I've been making various starters over the past week, in anticipation for some heavy brewing during this week and the following. Turns out, I forgot to culture up my 3068. I had a really good amount of Conan cultured up, so I decided to brew a hoppy American Wheat instead of the traditional.

So here's the question: do you guys regularly blend yeasts? I decided to pitch the smack pack of 3068 plus half of a 2000ml starter of Conan (decanted). I do it all the time with my sours, but have never tried with an entirely sacc brew. I did this so that I would have enough cells for a smooth and clean fermentation. It also works out that the fermentation temp i'll be maintaining works out with both yeasts. It's currently hanging out @62F which is perfect for the ester profile i'm looking for in both strains. I guess the downside to this, is I won't have a single strain to wash and re-use at the end of fermentation.
I figure that the Conan will help provide a clean and smooth fermentation and develop some of those distinctive characteristics without being overpowering. I expect to get some decent clove/banana out of the 3068. Has anyone done anything similar? I'll follow up with my recipe if anyone is interested...All the hops were added after flameout. Did a stand @170F for 30 mins with 1oz each of Amarillo, Citra and Simcoe.

Cheers! :mug:

Latest posts

Back