Blending worts in primary - after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenjaminBier

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
I want to change the color of my recent brew. It was supposed to be a nice red, but when I pulled a sample after fermenting for two weeks, it was more tawny than red. I also want to increase my batch size from 5 gals to 6 gals so I can completely fill a 6 gallon secondary with minimum headspace.

Any negative side-effects of this technique?

To be honest, I already did this last weekend, 8 days ago, but haven't sampled the new beer yet. Blended 2 gals new into 5 gals old.

The OG on the first batch was 1.054, SRM 10.2
The SG when I added wort was 1.014
The OG on the second batch was 1.051, SRM 19.3

:off: I'm subscribing to your topic, I'm curious about this as well. A couple friends and I were debating brewing a Burton Baton clone and it requires brewing 2 beers, then combining them after fermentation for the aging process.

Game on..

Pretty certain that you can blend beers together. What I might have done differently is to wait to blend until you're filling the keg, for two reasons. First, did they use different yeast strains, and will that throw off the flavors when both are in the fermenter together. Second, I would have been blending together by taste or smell to get the right blend, rather than simply by numbers.

I'll be interested to see what others say as well.

Pretty certain that you can blend beers together. What I might have done differently is to wait to blend until you're filling the keg, for two reasons. First, did they use different yeast strains, and will that throw off the flavors when both are in the fermenter together. Second, I would have been blending together by taste or smell to get the right blend, rather than simply by numbers.

I'll be interested to see what others say as well.

Point well taken about blending based on the taste rather than the numbers. My thought was to use the same grain bill for the darker batch but increase the cara malts. I did change the 2nd batch by adding cyrstal 120. And I didn't want to buy more candi sugar, so I omitted that. Otherwise the batches are pretty similar.

Back