Blending Munich malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfhar

Reaction score
I can get Best Malz products more easily than Weyermann so that's what I tend to use, although I'm not completely satisfied by BM's Munich malts. Their light Munich (6-8L) is too light for my tastes, but their dark Munich (8-12L) is too dark and intense - Weyermann Munich II is "just right" but harder for me to get.

There's an old topic https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=4971.0 where Gordon, Denny, Kai, and others chime in with a lot of great information about the different types of Munich malt. The general consensus seems to match my own experience, which leaves me with two questions:

1. Has anybody tried blending BM's light and dark Munich malts to produce something more similar flavor-wise to Weyermann Munich II?

2. What is light Munich malt good for, anyway?

I don't see why you couldn't blend the two. Not really sure what light Munich is or isn't good for other than just providing a nice maltiness to lighter styles like helles or a Fest beer, but is also just a good malt in general. I like Best's light Munich, but next time I think I'll get the Munich II just to change it up.

Light munich is better for 100% munich SMaSH beers so it isnt overly malty. Peronally, I always use darker munich because if I want something less flavorful, I'll use vienna. I see no issue with blending them though. Ive blended german and american dark munichs several times

True, I shouldn't be so harsh on light Munich - it's a good thing that we have so many choices of Munich malt, the way we have so many choices of yeast and hops. On the other hand, to my taste buds there is a big difference in the flavor, for example, between Weyermann Munich I (5-7 L) and BM Dark Munich (8-12 L) which makes it difficult to replicate recipes that simply call for "Munich Malt"

Back