blending honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmeek

Reaction score
Has anyone blended different types of honey? I know blending hops or malt can give you a more complex character in beer, will the same idea translate over to mead? If so, what are some complementing types of honey? I was thinking wildflower and tupelo but I am open to suggestions.

Why yes! Wildflower is sort of already a blended honey and as long as it's not predominantly clover (I find most are) you can really taste it. I did a three honey traditional on my blog.

http://hivemindmead.blogspot.com/2013/05/three-honey-traditional.html

only 10 people viewed it (probably less even read it). But I'd say it was a successful experiment. The mead turned out great.

My source is orchard pond honey, they sell it at whole foods but it's a local company. It tastes great, I dont think there's much clover if any mixed in. I'll check out your blog, and READ it for sure. Any suggestions for good blends?

Just play around and have fun I'd say. If you've made traditionals from the stand alone honeys, you can then use your tasting notes ot see which ones will work well together.

Orange Blossom is always a good one because most mead heads can pick out those notes in a mead. Look for some of the more out there honeys (such as tupelo, wild carrot blossom, meadowfoam, sour wood, basswood etc).

I cant imagine a blend would go badly, It's still honey, you're not brewing with onions.

Back