Bleach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tameape44

Reaction score
So I will preface this by saying I shouldnt have had this jug where it was and I learned my lesson. I was trying to save time and had my blowoff jug ready with about a half gallon of water and almost a cap of bleach ready. I was adding water to the wort in primary and accidentally picked that jug up and poured several ounces of this into fermenter, maybe like 6 ounces. Pretty sure the batch is ruined but dumping it is going to break my heart and Im just trying to make sure thats what I need to do. Thanks. :(

The home brewing podcast that gets kicked around here says that 1 oz of bleach in 5 gal of water can serve as a no rinse sanitizer. With the capful (you might want to check how much this is) already diluted in water, then further diluted in 5 gal of wort, I doubt it would make you sick. That said, it changed the ph of your beer, could possibly damage your yeast (have to wait and see how well it ferments), and your beer may now smell and taste like a swimming pool. You can always just leave it and see what happens though. It won't cost you anything but time.

The home brewing podcast that gets kicked around here says that 1 oz of bleach in 5 gal of water can serve as a no rinse sanitizer. With the capful (you might want to check how much this is) already diluted in water, then further diluted in 5 gal of wort, I doubt it would make you sick. That said, it changed the ph of your beer, could possibly damage your yeast (have to wait and see how well it ferments), and your beer may now smell and taste like a swimming pool. You can always just leave it and see what happens though. It won't cost you anything but time.

I second this. It was already diluted in the jug and not all of that went in. Then further diluted in the wort. I doubt it is enough to be dangerous. So rather than dump it give it a taste. Wait some time and taste again. Again won't cost anything but time.

Back