Bleach as a cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirBronto

Reaction score
We can delete this as soon as I can figure this out. I read the sticky on this and is says 1c/5 gallons bleach for cleaning. Is this 1 cup? Also should I add vinegar to get the PH up or is this just a practice for sanitization. Also do any of you guys use bleach for bottle label / mold remover and if so how much for that concoction. Thanks alot guys.

In the cancer lab I worked in we used 1 once of bleach in 1 gallon of water. That is what we used to clean anything that had organics stuck to it (cancer cells, mold, fish food, etc...). We soaked it until it was clean and then rinsed with water for 10 minutes. We used 70% ethanol to disinfect surfaces.

When I have used to get rid of stuck on messes I used 1 oz in 1 gallon and rinsed well. Worked fine. The bleach is not going to hurt glass.

I have used 2 ounces to 5 gallons with some success. Is rinsing for 10 minuets really necessary?

Probably not--that was lab protocol b/c we had to meet animal testing standards (I can't remember what the governing body was called). The doctors in the lab used zebra fish to study colon cancer and I had to keep the fish happy. I think you would be fine if you just rinsed through two or three times.

Back