Bland wheat beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drthrob

Reaction score
Need opinions on a wheat recipe. I am typically a porter/stout brewer (all-grain, always all-grain) and decided to make a wheat this time. Two weeks in primary, five days in secondary, now five days into kegs. I've been doing daily taste tests and the beer is really just...bland. Nearly tasteless. As I don't have much experience with wheats, I figured I'd come here and see what people's opinions on the problem might be. I believe it may have something to do with the chosen yeast, but I researched a bit before the choice and wanted to try the spicy notes others had mentioned when using it.

5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 43.5 %
5 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 43.5 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.7 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.3 %
1.00 oz Tettnang (Tettnang Tettnager) [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 12.6 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 8.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL/Fermentis #T-58) [23.66 ml] Yeast 8 -

I fully recognize that five days in a keg is not a lot for conditioning, but I should be getting some semblance of the flavor at this point. Any help is appreciated.

I had this not long ago. Was watery and thin early on. I drank most of the batch in disappointment….

…until I got to the last two bottles (a month or so later) and it actually started tasting great. Not overly banannary. Just a nice Summer Wheat. Even though wheats are normally good fairly young, my beer defied it. Much better with age.

I have extra kegs. I may leave this one carbonated and sitting in the kegerator to let it age. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It is not a strong flavored beer. I like them during the summer as a thirst quencher when working outside.

That being said, I've added nice flavor by adding orange zest at the end of the boil. Other times I've dryhopped with an ounce of citra hops.

It can be plain or it can be a blank canvas, very neutral to then add flavors of fruit or hops. Some like apricot, some mango, there's a big thread on watermelon wheat here.

Latest posts

Back