Bland Hazelnut Brown in keg... ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collinsDPT

Reaction score
Brewed a NB Brown Ale that I added 0.25oz of Hazelnut extract to at kegging (starting to think this was barely anything). It has been about 4-5 weeks in the keg and it just doesn't have much flavor. I am considering popping the top and adding some other flavor to the keg and re-sealing. I am worried that more hazelnut will just make the beer more bitter, which is not my goal.

Anything I can add to this already kegged and carbonated beer at this point to improve the flavor profile? In the future I need to be more picky about my grains, etc.

Thanks!

Spiced rum, flavored liqueur, there's all kind of flavored vodkas out there. Like a shot & a beer all in one. I have never done this, but can't think of a reason not to off the top of my head unless it would screw up the carbonation somehow. I'd probably take a measured sample and add a measured amount of whatever you chose to it and try it. Play with it until you got the ratio right. Just a thought.

Edit: How about Amaretto?

Good idea.

I have been doing quite a bit of searching and may end up adding some bourbon (small amount of course) directly to the keg.

Not sure

I'd dry hop and oak it after soaking the wood in your beverage of choice.

I'd dry hop and oak it after soaking the wood in your beverage of choice.

After doing some searching, most seem to recommend Williamette, Kent Goulding, etc. Do you guys agree?

Also, about 7-10 days in the keg and then remove?

Willamette and EKG are kind of different. If you want it with more English flair, go East Kent Goldings or Fuggles. For American character, Amarillo, Willamette, Centennial...

Guy at LHBS talked me into Columbus leaf hops. Put about 1.5oz in a muslin bag directly into the keg for 2 days. It tasted like completely over-hopped grass beer. I removed the hops and discarded, but now thinking this beer is ruined.

The fresh hop flavor will lessen in time... and may become perfect.

Columbus is not what I would have recommended for a hazelnut brown. Man...

As the post above suggests, your dry hops will fade. You may consider an oak addition, or a little more hazelnut. I doubt youll get excessive bitterness. You could also add a little maltodextrin (boil in some filtered water and cool before adding). That will impart some sweetness and a little body.

Or, you could just leave it alone and see what it does. Hope it turns out well!

Back