Blackberry cyser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
Oh mead/melomel/cyser experts... how does this sound?

4 gallons of apple juice
6 lbs clover honey
3 lbs blackberry honey
4 lbs frozen, thawed and mushed blackberries

I'm estimating an OG around 1.093.

Blackberries in primary or save them to rack onto in secondary?

Haven't decided on a yeast yet.

If you use a bucket for primary, I think it's easier in primary. Easier to stir when adding nutrient/DAP. If you use a carboy, then it doesn't matter. I read that blackberries are heavy in malic acid so 71B-1122 may be a good choice also.

...Haven't decided on a yeast yet.
There are a number of good fruit wine yeast types: 71B, DV-10, R2, VL1, & W27. Personally, for your fruit I would opt for R2... :)

BTW, don't forget to add pectic enzyme before pitching your yeast. ;)

Sounds like a good recipe to me. I would advise (with my background in forestry) to wait until the summer to try out any blackberry recipes though. Mid/late summer is the peak time for blackberry fruiting, and trust me that blackberries picked when the are ripe in the woods taste a hell of a lot better than store bought, and even more than frozen. I am also waiting to try out a blackberry recipe as well. Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies. I do believe I have a packet of D47 sitting in my fridge as we speak.

BluegrassyBrewer: I know what you're saying. But if I make some now with frozen berries from the store, then I can make some next summer with fresh. Then I have TWO batches! :D Impatience + greed = more to drink!

And this batch should be pretty decent come summertime, so I'll have it to drink while looking at the batch with fresh berries in the fermenter.

Back