English Porter Black Pearl Porter (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bubbles you mention are most likely the little bits of CO2 escaping the beer while the yeast is finishing up, perfectly normal. There was no film because there was no pellicle, your beer fermented clean.

The film is not from malto or lactose(boil sanitizes it), its a pellicle. that beer is infected, no doubt about that.

Hello all,

I brewed this a little over two weeks ago with an og of 1.070. I know there are a lot of unfermentables in there but my gravity now is super high at 1.032. My mash temps were 153 and my water profile was based off a London porter from target water profiles. It's been sitting at 65 the whole time using rehydrated nottingham yeast. I've read about amalyse but not sure if I want to go that route. Any suggestions or is this a drain pour?

I suggest raising the wort temp. 2 degrees and swirling your primary to wake up your yeast. Works almost every time for me. This is a super brew with fond memories for me!

Do not pour it out!! Take pigroaster's suggestion and/or just give it more time. I would not let Nottingham get too warm, but some movement may help, and time will absolutely help.

I have done this one four times. I had a batch go from 1.063 to 1.023 and that was after 34 days. I bottled it anyway and it was excellent, even if the ABV was low. My most recent batch spent 18 days in primary and 32 days in secondary (1.065 to 1.018)

If you go back a couple pages you'll see my experience w/ a slow start. I followed the directions setting a fermentation temperature of 60 degrees, and nothing after 48 hours. I have a ferm chamber and bumped it to 65, and off it went.

I did a slightly different recipe (replaced some 2-row w/ Maris Otter, added some vanilla extract), and it's getting rave reviews. Even a guy who doesn't normally like beer said he'd have a second glass of it. Guys at the homebrew club were complimentary, saying it tasted like a chocolate porter, whereas I tend to pick up the vanilla. Either way, it *will* be brewed again.

I have had this beer in the keg for 3 weeks now. Recipe the same except I didn't add the maltodextrin or the lactose. Still tastes fantastic however there is hardly any head. I small head appears after pouring but this has completely gone after a minute or so then it looks like Coke! Anyone else had this problem?

Not sure if anyone else has made a coffee version of this before.. too many pages to read through. I made this exactly to recipe with the malto and lactose and it turned out great. I used WLP007 and it reached FG of 1.020. I was looking to add some coffee so I found a way to add the cold brewed coffee to the keg. Cold brewing consisted of using a ninja for a few seconds at a time to coarsely chop some coffee beans and then add them to cold water in a mason jar and waiting 24 hours. I used 2 cups of water and 3 ounces of coffee beans and after the 24 hours was up I used a hop bag to filter the beans and to just capture the liquid. I ended up with right around a cup of concentrated cold brewed coffee that I added to the keg. This is exactly the amount of coffee I like in a beer. Subtle smell in the head, smooth creamy taste from the lactose and a nice smooth coffee flavor throughout the beer. Will be making this one every year.. Thanks for the recipe BM

First of all, thanks BierMuncher for the recipe, Im going to brew this tomorrow and I have a doubt, how much in grams or oz is 1 cup of Maltodextrine?

Would it be silly to try this as my first all-grain (BIAB) batch if I've had 50+ extract + grain brews under my belt? Should I stick with something with a lower grain bill like the Centennial Blonde?

Would it be silly to try this as my first all-grain (BIAB) batch if I've had 50+ extract + grain brews under my belt? Should I stick with something with a lower grain bill like the Centennial Blonde?

I think if you're careful with the additions, you'll be fine. Once you've crushed all the grain, it isn't going to be any different than a simpler grain bill.

I just brewed this on Wednesday; other than keeping track of when the various additions go in (hops, lactose, maltodextrine, whirlfloc tab), and making sure your water is correct for the mash, it's not that hard to do.

I hope you fellow brewers appreciate this post starting. What a memory to taste this recipe. It is a true winner in my mind. Perhaps I spend too much time in my igloo!!!

I brewed this last week and it blew up on me. Fermented 68 degrees. Let's see how she ends up. Took off quick with almost no activity now

After 13 days I moved this out of the Ferm chamber into my basement where ambient is about 65 degrees.

I checked gravity; 1.018, so a bit more attenuated than the previous version which ended up at 1.020.

Of course, I had to taste; unbelievable. Warm (65 degrees), uncarbonated, and it was drinkable right there. I can't wait to get it crashed and carbed. I'm adding vanilla to it again, and if those first sips are any indication, I need to find a competition to put it in. :)

The batch stalled on me. I checked the gravity and it was at 1.028 tried to stir the yeast cake and racked it into the secondary since it blew up my bucket and I couldn't get a good seal. I have it at room temp for a week and will see what the final gravity reading is

Question for those who have brewed this:

I've offered a bottle of this to two fairly experienced beer drinkers (one has brewed for 22 years, the other is a RateBeer fanatic but he's not a snob about it), and both said it tasted thin.

Thin. I brewed it as per Biermuncher's recipe with the exception of using 60L instead of 30L (all I had on hand was 60L), and if anything, that would have added a bit of fullness.

The recipe has maltodextrine and lactose; I would have thought that was enough to provide mouthfeel.

So--if I were to try to add something to this to reduce this "thin-ness" being picked up on by these two guys, what would I do?

I need to note that this beer has been a hit with a lot of people. I added a bit of vanilla extract and people either perceive it as chocolate or vanilla.

It's a very good beer, and I like it too--but the complaint about being thin has just gotten me thinking about it. And yet, at my poker game Saturday night two guys just kept going back for more.

The batch stalled on me. I checked the gravity and it was at 1.028 tried to stir the yeast cake and racked it into the secondary since it blew up my bucket and I couldn't get a good seal. I have it at room temp for a week and will see what the final gravity reading is

Had a very similar experience with a different Vanilla Porter. After a couple days it took off, blew the airlock out while i was at work, wife tried to put it back in but it got pushed out again. I threw a blowoff on it when I got home and after about 36 hours it settled down and I put the airlock back in.

After about 10 days I figured it would be down to FG and I was going to add my vanilla beans. I checked the gravity and was at 1.025, so I moved it to a 70 degree room, had to carry it up a set of stairs so I figured that was enough of a gentle rock for it.

Within a few hours I had bubbles in the airlock. I checked the gravity again this weekend (14 days) and it was at 1.019. I'm hoping to get a few more points out of it, 1.016 was my estimated FG. I threw the beans in anyway because I want this to be ready for Memorial Day, which will give it a week with the beans, then 2 weeks to bottle carb and condition.

Brewed 7 gallons of this yesterday, with a couple modifications.

• Crystal 80 instead of 30 (accident, but no biggie)
  • Mashed at 152 instead of 158
  • Targeted ~35IBUs (0.6oz Citra for 60min, 1oz Glacier for 30min, 1oz Glacier for 15min).
  • OG ended up at 1.067

The wort had some very good flavoring, although I'm interested to see how much residual sweetness remains after the yeast has completed its job.

So I split my 7 gallon batch, and I will be adding some vanilla bourbon to 5 gallons of it. I started soaking 2 vanilla beans (cut and scraped) in 4oz of bourbon last night, and I plan to toss all the liquid (no solids) after a few more days of soaking. Anyone tried something similar with this recipe?

Also, my gravity went from 1.067 to 1.030 after 2 days, and the sample tasted awesome. Using WLP004 - Irish ale yeast.

I would really like to make this next weekend. I have S-04 and 1318 on hand. Would either of these be a better choice?
thanks!

This may be the first time that S-04 has stalled out on me. After two weeks the beer is at 1.034. I did mash for only 45 minutes...with the lactose, etc. can anyone seeing this finishing this high?

Would you try to rouse the yeast or pitch fresh S-04?

Last edited:
This may be the first time that S-04 has stalled out on me. After two weeks the beer is at 1.034. I did mash for only 45 minutes...with the lactose, etc. can anyone seeing this finishing this high?

Would you try to rouse the yeast or pitch fresh S-04?

I had exactly the same problem, mine is in the fermentor right now. Started around 1.076 since I went crazy with 2.2lbs of lactose, and now it's been stuck at 1.044 for over a week. First week went great, lots of activity and action, but then after roughly a week it slowed down and stopped. Haven't moved it to a new vessel for secondary. Did a full 60 minute mash.

I crunched the numbers with the Brewer’s Friend app based on the original recipe, adjusting for 2.2 lbs. of lactose. Starting gravity would be 1.082. Final gravity would be 1.036. You’re a few points high, but with that much lactose, you’re gonna finish sweet. I hope you increased the hops to keep things balanced.

Zegrod and Soapy this is helpful to hear. A few days ago, I pitched some rehydrated s-04 and I think the beer just laughed at me. Before reading your posts, I started making a 1318 starter and because its going I think I will pitch that in a day or so. If that doesn't do anything its going to bottling as is.

"Found" a few bottles of this from my fifth batch (brewed Jan 2017), threw them in the fridge, and enjoying one right now. So good.

ALL GRAIN - 5 Gallons
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Fuggles [4.52%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.20%] (2 min)

0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

1.00 cup Malto-Dextrine (Boil 20.0 min)
4.00 oz Lactose (Boil 15.0 min)

1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.00 lb
Mash In Add 4.06 gal of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F 45 min
Mash Out Add 2.50 gal of water at 206.7 F 175.0 F 15 min

Primary 1 Week (60 Degrees)
Secondary 10 Days (60 Degrees)
Kegged and Force Carbed or Primed and Bottled

This was a very good, very rich Porter. Nice sweetness and great mouthfeel. Friends who shy away from Stout loved this milder (but creamier) dark beer.
Hi, My first question is, can I do this as BIAB? Also, I am a beginner, so can you tell me what the Malto-dextrine and the Lactose is and why it's used, and where to get it? Thank you.

The Maltodextrin (I assume one could also say Dextrin Malt - CaraPils or CaraFoam perhaps?) is used to add body, mouthfeel and head retention (at least that’s my understanding).

Lactose is unfermentable so it’s going to add, I assume, sweetness and will also add body to the beer.

You can get both from your local homebrew supply store or online via any of the online suppliers.

Can you do this as a BIAB? Yes - I’ve done a similar porter (albeit a smaller batch) as BIAB because all I do is brew BIAB :)

Cheers,
Dave

In the pot!

2A23A903-B561-45EC-BB13-73BE01E561B9.jpeg

Transferring to fermenter now. Smells good, hydro sample tastes good as well [emoji5]

Trying to decide between this recipe and EdWort’s... anybody have experience with both?

Just brewed this up yesterday during a chilly Thanksgiving brew day! Can’t wait to give it a taste. Cut the lactose down by 50% but otherwise stayed close to BM’s recipe.

Couple weeks in the keg, hooked it up to the gas. Carb seems okay, but i used a bev line that previously dispensed mint seltzer... lol. Turns out mint's an interesting flavor in this beer, but not what i'm going for. Gonna change that out...

Didn't use any finings and it's still murky. Anybody have trouble getting this one cleared?

Trying to decide between this recipe and EdWort’s... anybody have experience with both?
Haven't brewed this one (next up) but I can tell you I've never been dissappointed by either ones recipes. My always on tap session beer flips between Centennial Blonde and Haus Pale ale for about 4 years running now, still can't decide which I like more.

Couple weeks in the keg, hooked it up to the gas. Carb seems okay, but i used a bev line that previously dispensed mint seltzer... lol. Turns out mint's an interesting flavor in this beer, but not what i'm going for. Gonna change that out...
My wife loves mint .... bet she would have loved one of your 'misteaks' from that pour! :>)

What is it about this recipe that causes fermentation to stick?
I brewed this on NY day just as recipe calls for (except C120 was all i could find) with a 1000ml starter of london ale yeast. Started around 60 then began to raise by 2 degrees per day.
Within 12 hours I had activity, and vigorous activity for about 24 hours. after that, no activity. pushed temp to 70, swirled around and nothing. Day 7 took a gravity reading of 1.041 (OG 1.073). waited 2 more days and gravity didnt change, so I pitched a rehydrated nottingham. 24 hours later, nothing so I added glucoamalyse and 1 hour later I was seeing signs of activity again.
I know this is going to taste different than it is supposed to due to the GA and maybe different strands of yeast, but it was just too sweet to drink at 1.040.

Last edited:
Really like this as a base porter! I did a split batch and added lactos, coca nibs, and coconut to the other and both are fantastic! Thanks BM

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 7.20.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 7.20.41 PM.png
    643.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 7.20.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 7.20.31 PM.png
    679.6 KB · Views: 97
Brewed this up Sunday before the Superbowl. Forgot to take a post boil gravity reading, DOH! My WY1028 got delivered on one of the coldest days we have had here in PA. I ran home at lunch to put it in the garage. Made up a 2L starter, save a pint and pitched the rest. 12 hours later I had good activity in the blow-off. Can't wait to try it out. May split off 1 gallon to put on coffee beans.

Latest posts

Back