Black IPA with Coffee Extract Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevesbrew

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a Black IPA with some coffee. I want this to be a very hoppy beer. How much is too much when it comes to hops? Here's what I'm thinking:

60 min 1.25 oz Casdade Pellet
60 min 1.25 oz Citra Pellet
30 min 0.75 oz Cascade Pellet
30 min 1.0 oz Citra Pellet
05 min 1.0 oz Cascade Pellet
05 min 1.75 oz Citra Pellet
Dryhop 6 oz Citra Pellet

What do you think? Too much?

I'm going to be brewing a Black IPA with some coffee. I want this to be a very hoppy beer. How much is too much when it comes to hops? Here's what I'm thinking:

60 min 1.25 oz Casdade Pellet
60 min 1.25 oz Citra Pellet
30 min 0.75 oz Cascade Pellet
30 min 1.0 oz Citra Pellet
05 min 1.0 oz Cascade Pellet
05 min 1.75 oz Citra Pellet
Dryhop 6 oz Citra Pellet

What do you think? Too much?

6 oz dryhop??? Too much for me, anyway...

Geeez laweeeez that'll be an IIPA with all those hops or worse.

This a 5 gallon batch we assume??

For IPA's I use 3-4 1oz packs during the 60 min boil time adding at different times of course and 2 oz for dry hopping and that's plenty for an IPA I think.

Thanks for the opinions. I was thinking it might be too much. I seem to remember the guy at my LHBS say not to dry hop over two ounces. Maybe with too much hops I would not get enough of that coffee flavor.

Most of my IPA's now have at least 5oz of dry hops these days. I think the results match up well with most of the commercially available "west coast" style IPAs. Depends on your tastes obviously. I might dial back a tad with a black IPA to let some of the malts shine a bit more, but not a lot, I love hops! Aside from that, I might pick something different for your 60 minute additions instead of Cascade (and I would also skip the 60min Citra personally, I have read some complaints about using it as a bittering hop but have never tried it personally. I would just save it for flavoring/aroma additions). Something with a higher AA such as Warrior or Apollo.

I love to reference Bertus Brewery, I think his blog is great and love his advice about IPA's.

The second huge issue with hopping is lack of dry hops. Again, I see beers with a paltry 1oz of dry hops added to a 7.0% ABV west-coast IPA. I also see clone recipes with 1oz of dry hops, where the commercial beer has a massive dry-hop character. That simply won't get the job done. Most commercial brewer's that are brewing world-class IPAs are using at least 1lb/bbl of dry hops. That's 3oz in a 6 gallon batch, and that's the starting point. Anywhere between 1 to 2lbs/bbl is where you should be. Yes, that means up to 6oz of dry hops. That may sound absurd to some, but it's the reality of the modern West Coast IPA.

Latest posts

Back