black ipa - need hop advice for brew in progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incongruent

Reaction score
What combination of hops from my available stash below should I use to complete the Black IPA I'm making? I have the grains steeping now and will be brewing in next hour or so.
5.5 G batch
2.5 G boil

steeped grains
-0.5lb crystal 20L steeped
-0.5lb Roast steeped
-0.5lb Black steeped

Fermentables
-9lb light LME
-1lb brown sugar

yeast:
-aborted plans to use t-58 as I read this was more like a wheat yeast and went with Mauribrew Draught yeast I had instead at the last minute.

Hops Available:
-5oz cascade
-4oz northern brewer
-1oz hallertau (maybe 0.5)
-1oz saaz

I'm planning this... probably will do this before anyone even reads this thead. :)

60m - 2oz Cascade
60m - 2oz Northern Brewer
15m - 1oz Cascade
15m - 1oz Northern Brewer
15m - Irish Moss
5m - 1oz Cascade
5m - 1oz Northern Brewer
0m - 0.4oz hallertau
0m - 0.6oz saaz

You want to load up on late hops in a black ipa especially, otherwise the bitterness from the roast malt and the hops end up being overpowering.

I would do 2 oz cascade at 60
1 oz saaz at 5 min
2 oz Cascade at whirlpool
4 oz northern brewer at whirlpool

save the hallertau for a pilsner or something.

That should put you around 100 IBU with lots of juicy hop character with a hint of spice that won't be overpowering. You'll want to let your roasted malts mellow for a couple weeks too.

You want to load up on late hops in a black ipa especially, otherwise the bitterness from the roast malt and the hops end up being overpowering.

I would do 2 oz cascade at 60
1 oz saaz at 5 min
2 oz Cascade at whirlpool
4 oz northern brewer at whirlpool

save the hallertau for a pilsner or something.

That should put you around 100 IBU with lots of juicy hop character with a hint of spice that won't be overpowering. You'll want to let your roasted malts mellow for a couple weeks too.

Thanks for the advice. I did go ahead with what I had proposed in my 2nd post as I had nothing better to go on at the time than another IPA recipe I read online that had a large amount of hops added at boil. I was going to try and land somewhere in the ballpark of "Bitter Waitress" commercial black IPA. But I guess I'll live with whatever happens. The black malt has me biting my fingernails.

OG was 1.06 or so (hydrometer is untrustworthy). Sample tasted deliciously dark and bitter. There was a lot of hop matter floating around in there. I think its the most hops I've used in a brew yet.

Pitched 15g of rehydrated mauribrew draught yeast at 25deg celcius.

I should have dry hopped but I didn't want to lose any more finished product by hop absorption. Also I would recommend to replace 1lb LME with 1lb sugar instead. I think that would result in a lower FG (ABV) and cut thru some of that's sweetness. The FG of this ended in the mid to high 20s. (It's a bit sweeter than I was targeting). That being said, the bitterness is good. The the citrus flavour is a bit out of place. Maybe fuggles or something else would have been better than cascade. This one has been improving with time. Best drinking temp is about halfway between fridge and room temp.

I figured the 9lbs of LME was a bit much since it's basically concentrated wort. That's a ton of fermentables for a 5.5 Gal. batch. I'm thinking for mine I'll do extra light DME with about .5# Cara/crys and 1# midnight Wheat for my steeping grains. As for my hop selection and schedule, I think I want something piney and floral.

Latest posts

Back