Black Currant Puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
I am planning to add some black currant puree to a NE IPA.

The plan is to do 96 oz to 11 gallons batch in the secondary. If you have any experience with black currant I won't mind hearing about it. I am interested in quantities per gallon and a source where to buy it from.

The plan is to do 96 oz to 11 gallons batch in the secondary. If you have any experience with black currant I won't mind hearing about it. I am interested in quantities per gallon and a source where to buy it from.
Used it in a mead. It seems to be 100% fermentable. I should have stopped the yeast quicker. Turns the mead red. Certainly will tend to do that to beer too.

Can you tell me
- how much you used per gallon
- did you do it during secondary ?
- how fast it was fermented it all ? I need to figure out how much I leave it in the secondary before I keg. My original plan was 7 days.

Purees like these should work. Or use your own instead. Their pricing on those is usually better than elsewhere, but double check and don't forget to include shipping costs.
There are lots of (simple) sugars in fruit (puree), they will restart fermentation and ferment out. Color and some flavor/aroma products are left behind as well as additional alcohol.

Stop using secondaries for routine fermentations, they're not needed (with very few exceptions) Especially with hoppier beers like NEIPAs, any air (oxygen) exposure kills hops aroma and flavor. I would add the puree carefully to the primary (don't splash) preventing any O2 uptake. You could stream CO2 into the headspace while tinkering with the beer. Then flush the headspace with more CO2 when you're done.

Last edited:
Purees like this should work. Their pricing on is usually better than elsewhere, but double check and include shipping costs.
There are lots of sugars in fruit (puree), they will restart fermentation and ferment out. Color and some flavor/aroma products are left behind as well as additional alcohol.

Stop using secondaries for routine fermentations, they're not needed (with very few exceptions) Especially with hoppier beers like NEIPAs, any air (oxygen) exposure kills hops aroma and flavor. I would add the puree carefully to the primary (don't splash) preventing any O2 uptake. You could stream CO2 into the headspace while tinkering with the beer. Then flush the headspace with more CO2 when you're done.

In 99% of the cases I don't do secondaries.

In this case I was thinking that in order to harvest cleaner yeast (I always save the yeast) I'd do secondary but i guess I won't now that I found that the puree is 100% fermentable.

Also oxidation will be minimal as the fermentation will pickup again and the yeast will remove all the oxygen and clean off oxidation compounds.

BTW found a great deal (96oz for $35 on Amazon)

Also where are the breweries getting this stuff ? I find it hard to believe they get 6lbs cans...

I used a 3lb can in secondary of the 5gal batch of mead. It was fermented
Out completely in just 2-3 days.

I am curious if you measured the gravity before and after adding the puree. How much ABV bump you think you got ?

Latest posts

Back