Black Cherry Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeegsD

Reaction score
Ola all.

First post, but long time lurker. Anywho, I found this recipe for a Black Cherry Ale, and I really want to try it out. However, it says for best results brew at ale temp, and then lager for 2 months. Obviously I want this to turn out for the best. However, I've never brewed a lager, so I'm a bit perplexed. I know that lagers sit for a while at ~40 degrees. My question is two part I suppose.

1: Can someone point me to the right area for general lagering instructions?

2: I'm just starting out and all I do is swamp my primary fermenter. Obviously that doesn't get it down low enough. Is there an easy/cheap/small (college aged here) way to get it down to 40 degrees or should I sack up and buy a fridge large enough?

The recipe is most likely referring to a cold-crash to knock the yeast our of suspension... not really a lager in the truest of senses since you're using an ale yeast. I pretty much drop the temp of all my ferments before racking off the yeast cake in order to transfer a cleaner beer. I typically ferment until done at whatever the optimal temp for the yeast strain is, and then crash it down for a couple days to let things settle before kegging or bottling.

Back