bjcp grain selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tberry

Reaction score
Entering a beer an a competition and Im a bit unclear on something. I am entering a beer in the 10B category (American Amber Ale). What I am unclear about is the use of British grains like Maris Otter. I assume non domestic grains are ok as long as the profile is within the style guidelines but would like to be sure. Thanks in advance

Honestly, I would just lie and say you used 2 row. I guess some competitions they judge the beer before they see the recipe sheet or dont get to see it at all. But if they do, I dont want them getting preconceptions about my beer because I used a non-characteristic ingredient or its like 0.2% out of the "acceptable" range for the style. They cant prove you did use maris otter

Judges don't see a recipe sheet during comps. As long as it fits aroma, appearance, flavor and mouthfeel then that is the category the beer belongs in. Many flavors can come from many malts. A large number of category 10 beers contain british base malts. Don't worry about it, just enter it.

Ive never once filled out the recipe sheet for a competition so don't worry about it:rockin:

Ive never once filled out the recipe sheet for a competition so don't worry about it:rockin:

wait really?!

Im going to be entering close to 20 beers in a competition next month and I wasnt looking forward to filling this damn thing out so many times. Especially for beers where I am entering it in more than one category. So what did you all fill out? Just the name, style, and abv or something? Some of it I wouldnt have been able to fill out anyway, like the aa% of the hops I used.

the sheet I need to use is like this
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCP_EntryRecipe.pdf

wait really?!

Im going to be entering close to 20 beers in a competition next month and I wasnt looking forward to filling this damn thing out so many times. Especially for beers where I am entering it in more than one category. So what did you all fill out? Just the name, style, and abv or something? Some of it I wouldnt have been able to fill out anyway, like the aa% of the hops I used.

the sheet I need to use is like this
chrome-extension://ecnphlgnajanjnkcmbpancdjoidceilk/http://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCP_EntryRecipe.pdf

What are the competition rules? I've only ever entered ONE competition that required a recipe, and that was more to prove that you brewed the beer as it wasn't looked at from what I understand.

Each competition has rules, and most of them don't require ANY info- not ABV, OG, etc.

The rules usually say something like "only brown bottles in 10-12 ounce size without identifying marks will be accepted. If the cap has a logo, cover it with a Sharpie. Rubber band (do not tape!) the entry form to each bottle."
The will tell you that you may only enter one category or sub-category- but you pick which category you are entering.

One of my entries said:
6B- Blonde Ale

That's it.

The only time you give extra info is when it's required. Like in a specialty category, you have to state the base beer and why it doesn't fit in another category.

So one of my 23A entries read:
Imperial Amber Ale
A high OG amber ale, with an ABV of 8%
(or something like that)

Ok yeah thanks. That is what their boiler plate rules sheet said almost verbatim. Just said that you need one of the entry sheets per entry and 2 bottles of it. I figured I just had to fill out everything on it

Ok yeah thanks. That is what their boiler plate rules sheet said almost verbatim. Just said that you need one of the entry sheets per entry and 2 bottles of it. I figured I just had to fill out everything on it

If they have entry sheets that need to be filled out, then they should be filled out. I've just never seen a competition that required it.

the guidelines are just that...guidelines--not requirements.

and the "ingredients" section is just a list of what is typical, not required.

Back