BJCP Exam Tips - LONG post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all. That helps a lot. I started to time my self and realized I was taking 25-30 minutes to write one sample comparison. Wow I will have to tighten things up. And start timing my prewritten answers.

Ok I'm stuck on a few more questions if you have time to give me some clues

1) In the first section there is a grid of the 7 principal BJCP levels. The last column says GM service Requirements. I can't find out what GM stands for or where that information is located?

I figured out my other questions last night so I guess that is it.

Thanks

Sorry if this was covered, but can you gain points after you are awarded, and be bumped up? Like if I get "Recognized" with a score of 70 (above the needed 60), then get 5 experience points, do I just notify the BJCP and get bumped up to "Certified", or do I have to retake the exam?

Thanks!

Sorry if this was covered, but can you gain points after you are awarded, and be bumped up? Like if I get "Recognized" with a score of 70 (above the needed 60), then get 5 experience points, do I just notify the BJCP and get bumped up to "Certified", or do I have to retake the exam?

Thanks!

To be certified, for example, you need 5 experience points (2.5 judging) and a 70 or higher on the exam. What order those events happen in does not matter, once all conditions are satisfied and recorded in the database you are Certified.

All of this should happen automatically, assuming the competition organizers file the competition report and accurately record your participation.

You can always look up your detailed record (which may be a month or so out of date) on the BJCP site.

Yep, it happens automatically, once your points are recorded. The competition organizer sends in a report of the points for each judge that participated in the competition. You do not need to do anything.

TL

I just enrolled in a BJCP class and I wanted to say thanks for this class. My teacher is a GM 2, so talking to him can be a bit intimidating, what with my tiny amount of homebrew knowledge.

Still, looking forward to the test in October.

I just enrolled in a BJCP class and I wanted to say thanks for this class. My teacher is a GM 2, so talking to him can be a bit intimidating, what with my tiny amount of homebrew knowledge.

Still, looking forward to the test in October.

I'd encourage you to talk to him as MUCH as you can! Glean every ounce of info he has. As a GM II, he probably has a LOT of great tips on the exam itself as he is probably, or was involved in grading at some point. Make sure you listen well when you taste beers too. Its like having your own Beer tasting sensi!

I'd encourage you to talk to him as MUCH as you can! Glean every ounce of info he has. As a GM II, he probably has a LOT of great tips on the exam itself as he is probably, or was involved in grading at some point. Make sure you listen well when you taste beers too. Its like having your own Beer tasting sensi!

I have been! I bumped into him semi-randomly; a friend invited me to a small homebrew contest (almost skipped it…) but I figured it'd be fun and it was at my favorite watering-hole. Showed up, ranked beers as asked, and then hung around and got a club invite and the info I needed to enroll in his class. I'll be stewarding later this month and doing my first judging early August.

If anyone in Sacto wants to do the class too that might be nice; having someone to study/quiz with wouldn't hurt.

Post exam questions:
I survived the exam and I can definitely see my weak spots, But several people around me were using rulers and calculators. I'm pretty sure they were taking the same exam I was, but what would you use rulers and calculators for on a beer exam?
I could see possible using it to calculate the beer recipe but I don't think I would have time (or even the knowledge) to calculate theoretical values for things. And I was wondering if people just drew 3 equal columns for the comparing three styles so they could just list of aroma, appearance, taste and mouthfeel side by side?

Finally got my results back a couple of weeks ago and I passed. If I can ever find time to judge in a competition soon, that will give me the point I need to move up to Certified.

Finally got my results back a couple of weeks ago and I passed. If I can ever find time to judge in a competition soon, that will give me the point I need to move up to Certified.

Congrats. Maybe this means results for my January exam will be available this year.

I'd like to become a judge but I don't see any exams in my corner of the country until...never. They're all full through March 2011 and not much after that. Do you have to plan/schedule this a full year in advance?

Anyway I have a sort of OT question: I got hornswoggled into being cellarmaster at my first comp ever (later this year, should be at least 450 entries). Looks like that gets me Staff points but do I also get Steward points for that? And what are non-judging points for? Do they count as experience points towards a judges rank or what?

Stuck in a van down by the river...full of beer I can't drink.:(

You'd probably only get Steward points for being a cellar master, unless you're actually stewarding too which includes bringing the beer/glasses to the tables, etc. Non-judging points *do* accumulate to help you attain rank. For example to become Certified you need 5 points total, 2.5 of which must be Judging points and the other 2.5 can be Staff, Steward, or Event Organizer points.

You can only earn non judging points as a member though (you become a member of the BJCP theoretically the moment you take the exam). Judging points earned before becoming a member can be applied retroactively.

Depending on where you live, you should expect to be very patient or travel to take the exam.

You can only earn non judging points as a member though (you become a member of the BJCP theoretically the moment you take the exam). Judging points earned before becoming a member can be applied retroactively.

I do not think this is the case. I had steward points applied retroactively. Take a look at the bottom of this page (http://www.bjcp.org/examcenter.php).

I got hornswoggled into being cellarmaster at my first comp ever (later this year, should be at least 450 entries). Looks like that gets me Staff points but do I also get Steward points for that? And what are non-judging points for? Do they count as experience points towards a judges rank or what?(

I'm not entirely sure what you are doing, as different competitions use "Cellarmaster" for different jobs. Regardless, you only receive stewarding points for actually stewarding a judging flight. Certainly, you can receive staff points for that position, though. Keep in mind that your organizer only gets so many staff points to pass around, so do not expect more than 1 point (and maybe only 0.5).

TL

I'm not entirely sure what you are doing, as different competitions use "Cellarmaster" for different jobs. Regardless, you only receive stewarding points for actually stewarding a judging flight. Certainly, you can receive staff points for that position, though. Keep in mind that your organizer only gets so many staff points to pass around, so do not expect more than 1 point (and maybe only 0.5).

TL
Thanks TL. The way it was explained to me, the beer trailer is parked in the host hotel parking lot and the stewards have to walk past/through the pool area to get from trailer to judging room. The cellarmaster is the guy in the trailer pulling flights. They assured me they won't make me stay in the trailer the whole time and that I will get to steward a few flights. They said stewarding is nice because you often get to taste the beers along with the judges and hear some discussion.

I wouldn't mind a short road trip for the exam. Tampa/Jacksonville/Miami are all close enough. I'm not sure I'd be a good judge (I don't detect diacetyl for one thing) but there seems to be such a shortage of them I figured I might as well get certified. Plus it can only improve my brewing.

Ah, we call that job "the truck guy." "Cellarmaster" sounds much better, but that's the guy that keeps track of what is hooked up to our tap table.

Yes, stewarding is a great way to get some experience. You do not have to have an excellent palate to be a good judge, though. Part of judging is knowing your limitations. Like you, I also am not very good at smelling or tasting diacetyl, but I can pick up the mouthfeel. I just have to think a little more about diacetyl. I also depend a bit on my fellow judge(s) to identify diacetyl. In a similar fashion, I am hypersensitive to DMS, so I often can pick it up when other judges may not.

TL

I do not think this is the case. I had steward points applied retroactively. Take a look at the bottom of this page (http://www.bjcp.org/examcenter.php).

Correct. It is CEP points that cannot be earned retroactively. Mea culpa.

Despite my having some gaps in my knowledge of the program as pointed at by Beerrific, I did manage a 91 on my first (and therefore last) attempt at the exam.

I'd like to think TexLaw as I definitely incorporated his advice into my preparation.

Despite my having some gaps in my knowledge of the program as pointed at by Beerrific, I did manage a 91 on my first (and therefore last) attempt at the exam.

I'd like to think TexLaw as I definitely incorporated his advice into my preparation.

Dude! Congratulations! That deserves a 'nanner!

:ban::ban::ban:

TL

That's awesome remilard. Excellent work!

Is there a way to check on how the grading is coming along? It's been 6-7 months and my judge record on the bjcp site still reads 0 for all the exam scores.

there were only like 15 or so of us take it tops.

Is there a way to check on how the grading is coming along? It's been 6-7 months and my judge record on the bjcp site still reads 0 for all the exam scores.

there were only like 15 or so of us take it tops.

Mine was about 7 months. I volunteered to grade recently and it appears as though there are a ton of new graders like me and not enough experienced graders (there is a lead and second grader on each exam). So bad news I guess but hopefully all the new volunteers keep going and things get better in the future.

If you want an update, the best bet is to email your exam admin as s/he can ask for an update and distribute it to the entire group.

You should get your score via email very soon after the grade is complete and a packet in the mail a week or so after.

It is a bit out of date. The BJCP publishes a study guide that has everything you need to get a certified score, probably a national score if you don't make any mistakes. To get the depth of knowledge required for a master score, drink a lot of diverse beer critically and read Noonan, Fix, and Jackson.

I'm not sure I see a ton of value in outline type study guides for this exam. Tips on taking the exam and studying for it can be valuable, and that is what the OP in this thread is about.

It is a bit out of date. The BJCP publishes a study guide that has everything you need to get a certified score, probably a national score if you don't make any mistakes. To get the depth of knowledge required for a master score, drink a lot of diverse beer critically and read Noonan, Fix, and Jackson.

I'm not sure I see a ton of value in outline type study guides for this exam. Tips on taking the exam and studying for it can be valuable, and that is what the OP in this thread is about.

Interesting. You see some folks on this forum that seem obsessed with doing well in competitions. I see the same thing developing here. It isn't about the test, it is about the beer. Learn the beer, the rest will follow, no?

Thanks to TexLaw and all others who shared tips and information in this thread. I recently received the results of the BJCP exam I took back in September. I passed with a 76.

Thanks TexLaw

Having been through the studying and exam process now, one of the best pieces of advise I can reiterate for anyone thinking about taking the exam is to know the BJCP style guidelines cold, inside and out. IBUs, ABVs, SRMs, OGs, FGs, descriptions etc... A large portion of the written points on the exam can be earned from being able to reproduce the style parameters and descriptions from memory.

I copied all the BJCP styles down on to flashcards by hand and then studied them and quizzed myself in the months leading up to the exam. I also paid close attention to the BJCP Exam study guide and the example essay questions that are provided in it.

I probably would not have even passed had I not spent so much time studying the style guidelines.

A lot of great information in this thread. I'm getting ready to start studying for this exam (no exam scheduled yet) and was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how much time it takes to prepare for this? I know that this will be different for everyone but a ballpark figure would be nice. I was planning on dedicating 30 minutes to an hour for studying and reading a night. Any suggestions or comments from personal experience with the exam would be great. Once I get a better idea about how long it should take to prepare, I'll try to find the closest exam within that time frame.

Chances are that you'll have to reserve an exam spot at least six months in advance. Id say your best bet is to go ahead and sign up for one with vacant seats and then begin studying with the date in mind. If you are diligent and studying the right stuff i'd say you could be ready in as little as a three to four months. IMO it really helps to have the information fresh in your mind when you take the exam Given the long lead times, that is a big reason to sign up and then start studying.

Three or four months sounds about right. We typically start our study course about three or four months before the test. Of course, it also matters where you start. Some folks can refresh themselves in about a month.

TL

Latest posts

Back