BJCP Entrance Exam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagooBrew

Reaction score
Wow. I just took and passed the online entrance exam. That was harder than I expected.

Thank you. Does anyone have any tips or advise on taking the tasting portion?

Wow, I thought the online thing was fairly easy. The written and tasting test seemed a lot harder. I decided to hold off on that since finding a test nearby was hard and I discovered I didn't feel the need to test just yet.

Finding advice on the next step might be a bit hard. As I understand it, the testing procedure has changed somewhat, with more emphasis on the tasting rather than on the written. I think the BJCP actually has advice on their website.

I have a few pieces of advice for the tasting exam:

1) Get on a wait list for the tasting exam. It doesn't matter how far down the list you are. You would be amazed how many people drop out a few days before the exam. I spoke to a local guy here who runs exams and he said he's rarely had a full exam room even though the demand for the test is high. I got into my tasting exam when I was in the mid-20's on the waiting list...

2) Practice filling out score sheets. Pickup a couple of bottles of classic styles and practice filling out the score sheets with them. I wouldn't bother with worrying about the obscure styles such as anything sour, bier de garde, smoke beers, etc. Most exam directors are going to put common styles in front of you to evaluate for the exam unless the guy running your exam is a sadistic ass.

3) Get into a competition and volunteer to steward or judge prior to the exam. Most competitions are hurting for judges and will take non-BJCP judges to pair with more experienced judges. It would give you a big leg up in the exam.

Thanks for the repky. I am scheduled to take my exam in February. I have steward competions and have judged in a couple of Bjcp comps already.

Back