BJCP categories: ethical question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2eng

Reaction score
Are the categories more about what actually is in the beer, or what it tastes like could be in the beer?

Here's my dilemma:

After 4 competitions with a citra DIPA, I get about 50% comments on how there is a flaw in the beer. Usual comments are "a strange tropical fruit" flavor.

Is it wrong to enter it in the fruit beer category? It really does taste of mango and pineapple, but does not have any of those fruits in the beer. The blend of citra, simcoe and centennial gives it this tropical flavor.

I wonder what ya'll think?

I always believed that recipes should align closely with the intended BJCP category that you are entering it in.

Are the categories more about what actually is in the beer, or what it tastes like could be in the beer?

Here's my dilemma:

After 4 competitions with a citra DIPA, I get about 50% comments on how there is a flaw in the beer. Usual comments are "a strange tropical fruit" flavor.

Is it wrong to enter it in the fruit beer category? It really does taste of mango and pineapple, but does not have any of those fruits in the beer. The blend of citra, simcoe and centennial gives it this tropical flavor.

I wonder what ya'll think?

That's very strange comments from judges who should understand what American hops taste and smell like when judging an American style of beer. American hops are supposed to possess obvious citrus and fruit-like character.

That being said, you're supposed to specify what fruit is added when entering a fruit beer and it's understood that any fruity character should be derived from the fruit itself.

Yeah, it's more of a rant I guess. I wouldn't enter it as a fruit beer.

It kinda' irritates me about the flaw comment. Citra really does add the tropical flavors, and to have 3 of the 4 competitions come back with one judge at the 38-41 mark and the other at 20-24 is irritating. As I have read, the spread in scores is not a good thing.

Chalk it up to a rant on a Monday!

Citra is a pretty new hop, right? I may be that the flavor is gives is not recognized by many judges simply because they haven't experienced it yet. I think most of the American hop variety flavors are grapefruit and pine. "Fruity" flavors, other than citrus, may be perceived as a flaw in that case.

And that is a fairly wide range of scores. I'd be mad too.

I could understand them not recognizing a new hop varietal, but what is disappointing is them interpreting it as a flaw. You're supposed to be a learned beer judge judging IIPA's, you get a beer with an interesting tropical fruit note, and you chalk it up to a flaw or an off-flavor???

Take some solace in the fact that BJCP exams are booked solid for more than a year, there will be more BJCP judges than ever out there.

Back