Bitterness of an american pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
Got a second batch of an American pale ale that I carbed and took a taste of tonight and it seems to be a bit on the bitter side. Definitely nt a sweet beer. It reminded me of the pale ale I had at t he tilted kilt the other night.....

Is it typical for pale ales to have a bitter bite to them?

Yes, APAs are a little on the bitter side. Some are more bitter than others, but generally the style has something bitter to it. On the plus side, you're now going to start liking hops by the time you finish drinking that batch. Hops are a beautiful thing.

On the plus side, you're now going to start liking hops by the time you finish drinking that batch. Hops are a beautiful thing.

+1 This. Since I started getting into home brewing and toying around with hops, I've been trying to expand my beer drinking -- which has led me into the IIPA no mans land (this coming from an eight year BMC drinker). Since then, when I drink APAs or IPAs, I critique them for not having enough of a "hop bomb" aroma and too low of a bitterness level. Forgetting, of course, that those styles aren't meant to be AS hoppy as a IIPA. Enjoy the bitterness, let it cover you in it's glory, and add .5oz to your 60 min addition next time around :mug:

I love potent IPA's and have an idea of what bitter is. I made an American pale with IBU's at 35 with it evenly distributed at 60,20, and 5 mins (not certain which scale), and had many comments of it being bitter by people that don't drink much or don't like IPA's. To me it's nothing but Centennial tastiness. So I suppose it also depends on your perception. Maybe I'm just one of those that has no taste buds and drinks strong black coffee though.

It's drinkable to me and does have a perceptible higher abv taste but I am sure not many family members are going to like it

It's drinkable to me and does have a perceptible higher abv taste but I am sure not many family members are going to like it

I would say that most people who don't drink craft beers would not like American pale ale. It's bitter compared to any BMC beers, and hoppier too. It would be a shock to the taste buds for a Bud drinker to inadvertently get a pale ale!

Agreed, I'm taking an American cream ale to the get together on the 4th, it should be far more palatable for them lol

I actually find many American pale ales to come across more bitter than a double iipa - iipas tend to have a much better malt backbone to handle the hops, giving a more balanced flavor. Just my opinion of course :)

Back