Bitterness/Aftertaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need a more complete water report. My water has a huge amount of sulfate(405mg/l) that would really limit what I can brew for example. Sulfate enhances bitterness... as can other combinations of minerals and salts.

If you suspect that water is your problem and you don't want to pay for or wait for a complete water report you can try using R.O. water or distilled. With extract beers you won't need to add minerals.

My extract beers always had a sharp bitterness when young that eventually faded as the beer aged in the bottle. Six to eight weeks seemed to be the right amount of time.

Egads, that water report is all over the place! A "range" of this or that, nothing specific. Thank God my township puts out an annual water report that I can actually interpret for electrolyte and pH balance. Luckily, it's low on sulfates, carbonates, and chlorine. As a homeowner with a 42,000 gallon in-ground pool, I had to relearn a lot of my high school chemistry to get things right, and that carried over to my drinking water and beer. Brewing decent beer with good water is important, so I love that inline water filter in my refrigerator. Swimming in good water is one thing, relying on Jersey tap water in my beer is a whole other ballgame.

"extract twang" could be a possibility also

I would recommend using the lightest extract you can find, even for dark beers and use the specialty grains to get to the color you want

the lightest extract should be the best-selling, with better turnaround and be the freshest available

also add a portion of your extract at the beginning of the boil, saving the majority for the end of the boil. maybe 1/4 at start, 3/4 at end

Back