Bittering with hop extract or hop shots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46andbrew

Reaction score
So I'm wondering if any one has used the hop extract in their IPAs. I've heard that Pliny uses it and heady and other real flavor and aroma forward IPAs which I love and seams to be the best thing out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My understanding is some breweries use them for the buttering additions, as a way of cutting down on the vegetal matter in the boil, since it can end up being A LOT of hops in those beers. They don't really use them for flavour or aroma though.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Used them in my last IPA. I think I used 6mL at 60min, a touch of pellets at 10 min, and I whirlpooled more pellets at 140F.

I loved the bitterness I got from it. Very smooth, not harsh. Doesn't linger in the aftertaste if that's what you like. I might use a touch more for my next one.

Ya I defiantly want to try it. I'm wondering if I can buy any hop extract or if I need the stuff from northern. I've been looking at some online and I guess it's used for a sleep aid. Just wondering if it's the same.

I got mine form Yakima Valley Hops. You can get them in syringes of 3mL or 10mL I believe. Plus they sell them in bulk. I think they're in cans.

I buy the big can from Yakima. It's great stuff I love it. The can is about 140ml of extract.

Get the syringes, caps, and blunt dispensing needles from eBay. It's far cheaper than buying the pre made shots.

Back