Bittering Hops- does it really matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggourde

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
From what I have been reading, bittering hops loose all their flavor and aroma due to the long boil time. Some posts and threads allude to certain 'smoothness' attribute- which if true I would love to learn more about that.

Otherwise when I am reading recipes they claim that such and such hop should be used for the style- but as long as the IBUs are within the styles range, does it really matter which hop is used to achieve the appropriate bitterness level?

Thanks

To me it's less subtle than the differences between hops used for flavor and finishing, but the differences are definitely there especially in lighter styles IME. Chinook gives a very distinct, sharp bittering that I like in American ales but maybe would avoid in other styles. At the same level of calculated IBU I have, for example, been disappointed subbing Magnum for Chinook in an American IPA. Hops like EKG, styrian goldings, or noble hops are good for smoother bittering, say in a Belgian ale.

I know that the scientific explanation has to do with cohumulone levels, etc. which I'm sure someone else could explain better, I tend to go by experimentation.

Anyone who says biterring hops dont contribute flavor havent done a bittering only brew with a good amount of flavorfull hops. Try making a pale ale with something strong like columubus, summit, apollo, simcoe, citra, etc... at the beginning of the boil and you will definitely get flavor from them. Its not the same intensity as a 20 minute or less addition but there is flavor being contributed.

Though I've read otherwise,it's also been my experience that you get some flavor from bittering hops. I especially notice it with high AA hops like Columbus.

Want a stark difference in bittering types? Compare columbus/chinook to magnum/warrior

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Belma is a new kind of bittering animal too, leaves a smooth creamy mouthfeel in addition to a very pleasant soft bitterness.

I use a lot of Columbus for bittering and I can always tell when that's the bittering hop in any beer. It definitely leaves a trademark.

From what I have been reading, bittering hops loose all their flavor and aroma due to the long boil time.

Yes, it matters because that statement is not entirely true. It is an over-simplification. While the impact is not like a late addition there is influence on the flavor of the beer from the bittering hops, at least from beers that use a lot of hops. Unless you are trying to achieve something unusual it is probably a good idea to choose your bittering hops from the same general family of the later addition hops. Or at least use a neutral flavored hop in the bittering stage. This way the flavor contributions of the various additions will be harmonious. On the other hand if you are going for dissonance then mix and match as you like.

I know there is a feeling with certain hops I don't like. Chinook is little too much, and simcoe can be chalky, others leave a very stringent or solvent like taste to me. that is all I get.

I'm in agreement with the rest of these folks. The bittering hop definitely makes an impact on the flavor of the beer. I used Columbus as a bittering hop for the first time on a pale ale and it left a unique peppery, spicy flavor to the beer. Next batch, same recipe, used magnum, no more pepper or spice, clean and crisp.

Like everything else in brewing you'll just have to figure out what works best for your tastes and styles. The good news is, that requires lots of brewing to figure out.

Back