Bittering Hop amount for Grapefruit Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbiamuoetrhy8

Reaction score
I am planning on doing a Grapefruit Blonde next weekend for, you guessed it, the SO. I plan on steeping 1oz of GF peel for 10min of the boil, 1oz at flameout, and 1oz "dry hop". I plan on using cascade hops throughout, but was thinking that I should use half the amount for bittering to compensate for the bitterness of the GF peel. Would 1/2oz of cascade be a good amount?

also, should I incorporate the grapefruit meat to any phase of the grapefruit additions?

Prost! and happy Brewing!!

If you don't want to account for the bitterness of the peel (zest and pith), just scrape the zest off with a peeler and leave all the pith behind. All of my wits have either orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit or a combo of the above and I've always had great results with the zest only. I follow the IBU guidelines on Beersmth for wits and have never had an overly bitter result, just fruit/citrus aromas and flavors.

I generally add the zest with 5min to go or at flameout and whirlpool for 10 minutes.

Since you've had great success with zest in, what amount do you typically use for a 5 gallon batch you've made?

Since you've had great success with zest in, what amount do you typically use for a 5 gallon batch you've made?

In a 5.5 gal batch (so 6 gal into fermenter) with a total grain bill of 8.75lbs, 17 IBUs, and 0.25oz coriander seed (5mins), I made two separate tangerine zest additions: 0.5oz @ 5mins and 0.5oz @ flameout.

For my "Zesty Wit" I used a grain bill of 8.5lbs, 19 IBUs, and two separate zest additions again: 0.25 oz of orange and 0.25 oz grapefruit @ 5mins along with the same amounts again at flameout. (no coriander in this one and my preference of the two)

Both brews utilized cascade hops only: 0.5oz @ 90mins and 0.5oz @ 5mins.

WL Belgian Yeast (WLP400) was used in both as well

One thing I noticed it that the citrus aromas and flavors continued to become more and more pronounced for about 6 months, after that the flavor and aroma started to diminish

Back