Bitter with Pale chocolate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob3000

Reaction score
I'm trying to create a recipe for a bitter using some pale chocolate i've bought. I want it to be nice and toasty/roasty but also fairly bitter. Here's what I have so far

Marris Otter 4kg (8.13lb)
Crystal 300g (10oz)
crystal, Dark 200g (7oz)
Pale chocolate 100g (3.5oz)

Northdown 90mins 1oz
northdown 30mins 0.4oz
East kent golding 30mins 0.5oz
East kent Goldings 5mins 0.5oz

IBU 43
Colour 27 srm
1.046 gravity

Could i get away with using more pale chocolate and dark crystal or would it become over powering or have i already used too much?

I suppose you could technically do what ever you want because this looks much darker than a traditional bitter. So really, you just have to decide where you want to take something like this. I'd be definitely interested to try it though. I'd do 155-158. it will make a more full bodied beer.

I brew a very similar recipe for a 'harvest bitter' that is based on a wonderful dark-ish bitter I had in the UK. I can't for the life of me remember who made it (Bateman's?) but it was one of the best beers I had in the UK. My recipe is approximately 85% Maris Otter, 7% crystal 55L, 4.5% amber malt, and 3.5% pale chocolate - with all fuggles hops, bittered to 35 IBU, and about 14 srm. O.G: 1.045. Mash 154F.

What happened with this beer. I just brewed a very similar recipe and I am thinking that the pale chocolate gave me a distinct tobacco flavor. Any feedback?

Latest posts

Back