Bitter Bald Guy / 1187 Ringwood Ale yeast problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billrigsby

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed up a batch of the Bitter Bald Guy (recipe below),
I added 1# of rice hulls as I do when using flaked corn, just be sure the sparge does not stick. Also added 2qts of additional water.
I also did use 1187 Ringwood Ale yeast since I had it on hand,
I have used this in the past for IPAs and other bitters with no problems.
My OG was almost spot on at 1.052

The problem is it has been almost 18 hours and there is no activity, should I assume the worst and
pitch new yeast or wait it out a bit?

I have had delayed responses in the past, but never this long?

Bill

Bitter Bald Guy
All Grain Recipe

Batch Size: 5.50 gal Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale) ( 8C)
Boil Size: 7.00 gal Style Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 15.7 SRM Equipment: Shakey Dog Brewery
Bitterness: 44.7 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.050 (12.4° P) Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Est FG: 1.015 SG (3.7° P) Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 4.7% Taste Rating: 35.0
Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain
1.00 oz Target [11.0%] - Boil 60 min Hops
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.5%] - Boil 15 min Hops
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.5%] - Boil 5 min Hops
1 pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) Yeast

Did you make a starter? If not I wouldn't be surprised at all. How old was the yeast? Even still 18 hours is usually enough for signs to show but a day too soon to get worried.

Let it ride. I've had brews that took 48+ hours to show signs of fermentation with no ill effects. Sometimes, for any number of reasons, the yeast just take longer to wake up. If you reach 72 hours and still have nothing, check the gravity to confirm no fermentation. Then aerate and repitch.

Agreed on the starter, you should make it a habit to build them from liquid yeast, then save some for your next batch.

Although you may not see any signs of fermentation, that doesn't mean the yeast isn't working.

For the record, Ringwood is a finicky yeast, it has a tendency to stall well before it reaches terminal gravity. Read up on how to combat that, for example by increasing the temps slightly every day after it has attenuated about 60-70%, and never to let the temps drop.

Back