Bit of advice (dried cranberry wine)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatmatrix

Reaction score
Hello all. I'd like some advice on a recipe from Jack Keller's site ( http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques87.asp ).

I've got all the ingredients, but I plan to make a 5 gallon batch instead of a 1 gallon batch. What, if any, of the additives do I times by 5? I know a packet of yeast will do up to 5 gallons, so I don't need to adjust that. But what about the pectic enzyme, campden tablet, nutrients and tannins?

I'm mostly asking because I made a 5 gallon batch of this before, and did everything x5. The fermentation was really weak. I don't have hydrometer readings, unfortunately. However, the wine (currently sitting in a secondary for the second time) is really sweet. I don't mind it- I actually kind of like it, but I want to make sure it's actually brewing.

Thanks for any help.

The simplest way to make sure a wine is fermenting is to check the change in the amount of sugar in the wine and the simplest way to check that is to measure the specific gravity with an hydrometer.
Apart from yeast which you rightly say you do not need to increase you should increase all other additives you mention.
But I would double check to make quite certain that your dried cranberries have not been sorbated (they won't easily ferment ) and don't have added vegetable oil. (many commercial brands have added sunflower oil. The oil won't inhibit fermentation but it will coat your carboys and tubes... and be a challenge to remove...

Back