Birthday Gift - Hop Garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRock947

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife keep saying that she was going to surprise me this year for my birthday. She was absolutely right...I always thought about planting hops but I hesitated for one reason or another. Well, she went ahead and did the research about raising them....looked through my recipe book for which ones that I use...contacted a hops seller...went out to buy the supplies and had it planted by birthday...May 15th. She even wants to take care of growing them which is fine with me since she has a greener thumb than me.

2014-05-21 18.21.22.jpg

2014-05-21 18.21.30.jpg

2014-05-21 18.21.57.jpg

2014-05-21 18.22.04.jpg

Wow, the pictures are sweet. It looks like they will have plenty of space to climb. I am trying to grow mine along my 6 foot fence haha. It is coming along but my wife won't let me string them up the house like that. I am so jealous!

Looking over the pictures again, I thought I got the pulley that she has at the top for when it comes time to harvest but it got cut off :(....she actually had her dad come over to help with that....

That's awesome!

Word of caution: in a couple years they will grow huge and thick and may intertwine and mix, making it hard to differentiate between varieties.

And your power meter may be totally inaccessible which might be a bylaw in your area.

Super cool though, that's some wife you've got there!

Great gift. What other varieties did she put in? I like the little drawings above the name, haha.

That's awesome!

Word of caution: in a couple years they will grow huge and thick and may intertwine and mix, making it hard to differentiate between varieties.

And your power meter may be totally inaccessible which might be a bylaw in your area.

Super cool though, that's some wife you've got there!

I'll mention it to my wife about the intertwine and mix issue.....knowing her, I'm sure she has a plan already thought up.

Hopefully the power meter won't be an issue...it's read electronically by a vehicle driving by.

Great gift. What other varieties did she put in? I like the little drawings above the name, haha.

Cascade and Crystal of course...Zeus, Newport, Tettnganger and Nuggett

I laughed about the symbols too...she's just so artsy...my technical brain hurts sometimes :cross:

Garden update:

1st picture: First Crystal Hop is still doing well despite a setback....I believe a rabbit got in and nibbled the top off of the first soot,

2nd picture: 2nd Crystal Hop is up and doing awesome....

3rd picture : a new variety is up....Newport Hop

2014-06-11 18.18.15.jpg

2014-06-11 18.18.23.jpg

2014-06-11 18.18.53.jpg

Nice dude. Your wife is awesome. Good luck with the plants. I'm a first year grower as well and it's really fun. I dig it just as much as brewing. Cheers.

Back