Bigmouth Bubbler, do not exceed 140F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaProud

Reaction score
KgzwhEs.jpg

Not just a suggestion.

Big mess and a ruined fermenter. When I poured 4.5 gals of boiling water in it, it began to shrink and naturally the must started spilling out the top. Luckily I had some 1/2 inch tubing nearby and was able to siphon it (burning my tongue) into a bucket fermenter. I probably lost a half gallon of must. :livid: :smack:

9LaDPAV.jpg

...uh, I wouldn't trust the rest of what's left. Leaching is pretty likely.

(Incidentally, Alhambra-style water bottles exhibit the same behavior).

good info. Glad I dont own a plastic fermenter because I am pretty sure I would make this same error.

good info. Glad I dont own a plastic fermenter because I am pretty sure I would make this same error.

I put hot wort into a glass carboy once. The result was worse than what you see above. Different category of worse. Pool was involved too, so not really apples to apples comparison. Still, I wouldn't put hot wort into a cool glass carboy.

[edit] oops, maybe you meant steel. Hot wort in a steel fermentor would be OK of course.

I'm failing to understand why you're putting hot anything into the fermenter.

Making Wine. All of Jack Keller's recipes say to pour boiling water over the crushed fruit. I assume its to kill any bacteria or other bugs/nasties that was on the fruit.

edit: After reading a little more on the practice, it appears the hot water also helps with color retention in wine.

Trying to recirculate (or so I thought) ice water through a counter-flow chiller, draining wort directing into fermenter, and unknown to myself the valve on my pump output was nearly shut! That's why I put hot wort into my fermenter...next question, please!

I out my 164* sparge water in one of the plastic big mouth bubblers every batch, always the same one. Never had it melt lol

Latest posts

Back