Biggest batch with a BANJO Burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5 Is Not Enough

Reaction score
I'm really considering the Banjo burner, especially after a great link in this thread.

It's rated up to 210k btu's (I have a high pressure regulator).

Hypothetically, this should easily boil a large batch, but has anybody used it for 20+ gallon boils?

My brewpot is 24" around. The burner is only 10". - Any thoughts on it scorching in the middle as it keeps the large volume at boil?

Or should I just get one of the 32tip jet burners like Yuri_Rage and build a stand?(the first time around :) )

A circumference of 24 inches is a diameter of only 7.64 inches. On the other hand, a diameter of 24 inches is a circumference (as if anyone cares) of 75.4 inches. So in context I suspect you meant that your brewpot is 24 inches across (diameter) and not around (circumference).

I don't think you'd scorch the wort, but you should stir it to make sure and try to put a little more distance between the burner and the flame than what that banjo burner has. I am not so sure that stand would be stable enough with a pot of 24 inch diameter. I'd probably build a custom stand or go the 32 nozzle jet burner route (in a custom stand).

The Banjo is just about 17" in diameter which should give you about 3.5" of overhang all around. You will have no problem with scorching unless you use LME.

I have no doubt the Banjo would bring 20 gallons up to a boil, it just might take awhile, but there are ways around this like starting your burner during runoff so that by the time you've collected all your runnings, your main volume is up to boil or close to it.

Of course, nothing works better than a custom built stand/burner for your unique pot, but if you already had a Banjo or didn't want to go through the fabrication process, I think the Banjo would work overall.

:)

I have a banjo. KAB5. with the lower pressure regulator (125,000 btu's) the thing is almost too much for my 10 gallon brew pot.

with the higher pressure regulator, I have no doubt it could do 20 gallons. might take a little while, but it'd do it.

the thing's a monster.

Marinebrew said:
I have been looking at the multi-jet propane burners made by Cajun cookware for my system. The small one is only $39.99 and boasts 165,000 BTU. Has anyone used any of the sizes offered, and what's does everyone think of them? How many BTU's are too many for a keggle?
See the types I'm talking about at http://www.bbq.com/category_name_Gas-Burners_path_10500-9983-7112-7133.html

I have three 8 inch burners on the stand I'm building that look almost identical to that one. However, mine are not propane. They are low-pressure natural gas burners with 20 jets that are supposedly capable of 150,000 BTU. I don't think something in that general BTU range is too much. I'm hoping to be able to test them later today. I'll post back on it when I do, but it may not be analogous to your situation with the 9 inch 23 jet high pressure propane burners.

Even so... That 9 inch burner looks reasonably sized to me for use on a system with 15.5 gallon kegs or larger kettles. It's likely overkill for anything smaller.

Bobby_M said in another post somewhere that he removed some jets on his burners to reduce them down to 15, but I'm not sure if he was talking propane or natural gas. Maybe he will see this and comment.

Another source for what appears to be exactly that burner you are looking at is Krazy Kajun Cookware.

And another is where I bought mine, but ordering requires email back and forth and giving credit card number over the phone. Their price on that same burner is higher, too, but they have a broad range of natural gas and LP burners to choose from. Some are more reasonably priced. There is even one with stainless steel tips. Here is their version of the burner you are looking at. Top Food Service KECABJ007.

For comparison, these are the natural gas 8 inch 20 jet burners I bought for $26.70 each: Top Food Service KECABJ004.

malkore said:
I have a banjo. KAB5. with the lower pressure regulator (125,000 btu's) the thing is almost too much for my 10 gallon brew pot.

with the higher pressure regulator, I have no doubt it could do 20 gallons. might take a little while, but it'd do it.

the thing's a monster.

I'm estimating 200-250lbs of wort, do you think the stand would hold it?

billtzk said:
A circumference of 24 inches is a diameter of only 7.64 inches. On the other hand, a diameter of 24 inches is a circumference (as if anyone cares) of 75.4 inches. So in context I suspect you meant that your brewpot is 24 inches across (diameter) and not around (circumference).

I don't think you'd scorch the wort, but you should stir it to make sure and try to put a little more distance between the burner and the flame than what that banjo burner has. I am not so sure that stand would be stable enough with a pot of 24 inch diameter. I'd probably build a custom stand or go the 32 nozzle jet burner route (in a custom stand).
Yep, 24" around just like I said:) 7 1/2" wide, Yep, 20+ gallons, straight up, only 7' tall! Thanks for clearing that up...
Seriously though, I was also thinking about using a 1/2" thick piece of flat steel as a heat diffuser, (~20" sq) but I worry about loss of efficiency on an already moderate burner. And the added weight may not be a good thing either...

5 Is Not Enough said:
I'm estimating 200-250lbs of wort, do you think the stand would hold it?
I have no doubt it would. I weigh 180 and I can stand on mine and even jump up and down. It's pretty beefy.

Thanks for all the advice. I just ordered. Great deal too, $69 w/ free shipping. Ill post back after my first run with a big batch.

Back