Big Mouth Bubblers are dangerously thin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thicker but as someone also said, and I agree, 17% thicker is actually still thinner than it should be. This is glass we're dealing with.

Well, I don't know about that. Seems like it should be thicker than that, but I'm not an engineer that can say with certainty that it should definitely be thicker.

Make sure you buy and wear the new Big Mouth Bubbler Protection Suit!:

XPInstructor.jpg

Rev.

Hilarious

Standards? What kind of standards could there possibly be?

I'm sure there are industry standards. However, you don't need standards for a defective product suit. Makers, designers, and sellers of the BMB have a non-delegable duty to prevent harm. That duty was obviously breached. The damages may or may not be worth suing over. Wouldn't hurt to ask a lawyer, many injury attorneys will have free consult.

Maybe seller will offer to pay your meds, wage loss, etc. if you ask. Would be covered by seller's insurance anyway.

YMMV

It may or may not be worth the trouble. You never know unless you ask.

It came out on reddit a few months back that Northern Brewer / Midwest were filtering and deleting negative reviews of this product. They're fully aware of it's issues but don't give a **** so long as they can sell their stock. I honestly do wonder how they have not been sued yet.

I emailed northern brewer right before the new "thicker" big mouth bubblers telling them how my big mouth cracked and then came back and offered to send me the new one that are coming out. not sure if i should take them up on this deal or should i say screw it and its a lost cause.

Its possible that the old ones were nominally thick enough but they had crappy quality control and production processes so a lot of thin ones got manufactured and then shipped. So if they made them 17% thicker and got their production quality increased then it could be fine.

Time will tell but NB or midwest hasn't gotten any of my money since this fiasco started and they wont until these new ones have been proven for awhile.

I emailed northern brewer right before the new "thicker" big mouth bubblers telling them how my big mouth cracked and then came back and offered to send me the new one that are coming out. not sure if i should take them up on this deal or should i say screw it and its a lost cause.

I would accept their offer. It's basically a free carboy at this point. You money has already been sunk.

Oh God. Now I'm going to be seeing ads on TV that say, "Have you or a loved one been injured by a Big Mouth Bubbler, also known as a BMB? If so, call Zucker, Abrahams, and Zucker to find out if you are entitled to compensation. It's your money, and you need it NOW!"

Oh God. Now I'm going to be seeing ads on TV that say, "Have you or a loved one been injured by a Big Mouth Bubbler, also known as a BMB? If so, call Zucker, Abrahams, and Zucker to find out if you are entitled to compensation. It's your money, and you need it NOW!"

Oh JG Wentworth... now those songs will be stuck in my head all day... "I have a structured settlement and I need cash now!"...

Oh JG Wentworth... now those songs will be stuck in my head all day... "I have a structured settlement and I need cash now!"...

Couple years ago wife and I went to the UP to visit Yooper and stopped at the Brewery in Escanaba for dinner. I swear to God while we were walking down the street some college aged kid stuck his head out the 3rd story window and shouted, "It's my money and I need it NOW!"

Well, I don't know about that. Seems like it should be thicker than that, but I'm not an engineer that can say with certainty that it should definitely be thicker.

Its possible that the old ones were nominally thick enough but they had crappy quality control and production processes so a lot of thin ones got manufactured and then shipped. So if they made them 17% thicker and got their production quality increased then it could be fine.

Time will tell but NB or midwest hasn't gotten any of my money since this fiasco started and they wont until these new ones have been proven for awhile.

To both of you, 17% thicker means very little if the thickness isn't uniform and extra glass is molded in where it counts the most.

Some of the cracked examples I've seen pictures of, had horrifyingly thin areas for a vessel that size, meant to hold a watery liquid at that volume, and to be handled when full.

Knowingly selling defective products that injure people isn't right. But the proof is complex. Some lawyer will see a way to file a claim, if that hasn't been done already. Class action perhaps?

To both of you, 17% thicker means very little if the thickness isn't uniform and extra glass is molded in where it counts the most.

Some of the cracked examples I've seen pictures of, had horrifyingly thin areas for a vessel that size, meant to hold a watery liquid at that volume, and to be handled when full.

Knowingly selling defective products that injure people isn't right. But the proof is complex. Some lawyer will see a way to file a claim, if that hasn't been done already. Class action perhaps?

Yes, the cracked examples had really thin glass. It seems like the original mold didn't really move the glass around very uniformly. Maybe they've increased the thickness and improved their process so the glass is more uniform. The only way we're going to find out is by someone buying one and having it crack on them and we'll see how thick that glass is.

Hence my comments about their production process.

And threads like this are why I stick with plastic, both in BmB and other products.

No, they get a $10 off coupon on their next purchase. Been there (Gateway/Monitors' actual visible size). Pile of horse$hit.

Amen to that and so true. I get these class action settlement entitlement letters in the mail enough to know. My most recent one was for the Sony Playstation Store service disruption due to the hack attack. They actually offered a free PS3 game which seemed to be the highest value item as the others were all $10 value offers. But, while I know they should have better network security that shouldn't be repeatedly susceptible to DOS attacks I still don't feel it was Sony's fault and XBOX's online services were also taken down. So I don't feel like I *deserve* something. More importantly, it's also not worth my time filling out the required info to get said prize.

Rev.

Get them to send you a 6 gal BB as a replacement!

I brewed a big Russian Imperial Stout. Went to pitch the yeast the next morning only to find my wort and water in my swamp cooler had mixed. I was like what the hell is going on and lifted the Jug out of the water to find it had 2 holes in it. What a waste of money and time.

I contact Northern Brewer and they had no record of my purchase which was back in June 2014. They asked for a picture, so I sent it to them and they replaced it with my choice of store credit or a new jug. Since I had already ordered a replacement jug they refunded me the cost of it.

This happened to the old version of the big mouth bubbler.

Good to know, I'll stick to my glass carboys. Haven't broken one yet *knock on wood*, but I'm up to 8 of these buggers so far. Buckets scare me too much, as I like to stay away from Plastic/BPA as much as possible.

Good to know, I'll stick to my glass carboys. Haven't broken one yet *knock on wood*, but I'm up to 8 of these buggers so far. Buckets scare me too much, as I like to stay away from Plastic/BPA as much as possible.

good luck one day you'll most likely eat crow on those like I did. Just don't severely hurt yourself when it happens.

People have been using glass to make beer for hundreds of years. There's bound to be some casualties along the way. If you don't like glass don't use it. I'm sure even a plastic bucket has caused damage to somewhere along the way. Life is taking risks. Yeah the bmb is incredibly thin and possibly dangerous, but that is no reason to knock everyone who uses glass.

I don't think this thread really is about glass vs. plastic.

I think it's about a single dangerous product that jeopardizes fellow homebrewer's safety.

I would be hard pressed to call a quality glass carboy a dangerous product.
Talk like this leads to more BS laws and regulations.

So, just because you broke one, that means that everyone else will too?

I personally don't feel this way and I know the question wasn't directed towards me; however, this discussion is about the glass BMB, which has seemingly, in some cases, broke simply under the pressure of the beer it held. It doesn't seem as though these are breaking due to misuse or anything of the sort.

I will say if I can ever come upon a glass carboy that was made decades ago, I'd jump on that for sours or bulk aging. It seems as though people report that quality of all glass carboys has diminished slightly. Whether this is simply opinion or fact, I do not know.

Back