Big Mouth Bubbler-Plastic - Any Good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
Considering one of these. Read some mixed reviews.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Yup. Replaced most of my buckets with these. I have 4 bmb all with carrying straps. Still use my old buckets for holding milled grain, or sanitized items. I love them. Treat them well, the plastic is thinner than a bucket, but still tuff. Love the volume markings as well.

I have a glass, not plastic, one. I love it. Much easier to clean and take hydrometer readings with. I love it.

In my opinion, stay away from glass! The plastics are great, easy to clean! Have 5 would purchase again if needing more fermentation vessels.

I'm staying with plastic.

What about the siphonless ones, you like them?

Will a standard carboy hauler work with these 6.5g Bigmouth PET's?

I just recently bought a couple of little big mouth bubblers for my small batches, I love them. I plan on getting some biggers ones in the future.

I bought a 6.5 siphonless at their introductory price, plus 10 percent off. Decent deal, my original plan was to use carb tabs and bottle straight from the carboy, but I barely ever use it for transferring, let alone bottling. I don't trust the spigot enough to not introduce infections, and the one time I used it despite the trub being underneath the port, the suction pulled a lot of sediment with it. Took a long time to clear in the bottle. An autosiphon is better for minimal sediment into the bucket.

Still, less fragile, volume markers, and the wide mouth made it a worthwhile purchase. I just wouldn't bother getting it ported.

I have one of each style of plastic and love them both. They are so easy to clean and you can sanitize most of your equipment in it while you brew! Plus the periodic bloody glass carboy accident pictures on here were freaking me out.

My first one requires some effort to get it screwed on tight enough to form a good seal. That said when I cold crash the bottle collapses on itself a bit indicating that the seal is holding.

I've seen some bad reviews about its inability to create an airtight seal. If it doesn't seal properly, then it is effectively useless?

I have one, seals fine, maybe I got lucky. Big mouth is convienient.

Personal choice, but I would not buy one with a tap on it.

I still prefer my 35 year old fermenters, but eventually they will need replacing. I will happily replace them with these.

I've seen some bad reviews about its inability to create an airtight seal. If it doesn't seal properly, then it is effectively useless?

I'm sure somebody will correct me but I'm not sure it's that critical. You want to avoid letting bad stuff in but how is some funky microbe going to get past the screw top? Plus, fur the most part you will have fermentation pushing out of the carboy. After fermentation is over the pushing stops but it doesn't just switch to sucking in air unless you cold crash it and build negative pressure.

I suppose without a perfect seal there is a chance and zero chance of infection is better than some chance. But I'm not sure it's enough to worry about.

Fwiw I have used plastic better bottles for years and love them. Had these been around I might have bought them instead.

I have been using both glass and plastic models for about a year. The benefits far out way any negatives in my experience. The only complaint I have is the screw cap on the glass one doesn't thread on very well. Screw to hard and it skips a thread and gets loose again.

Most plastic buckets don't have a good airtight seal but seem to work fine for the vast majority of people who use them. I view my BMB in much the same way as a bucket, in that it will keep any physical contaminants out but not prevent the free exchange of gas. Since mine doesn't seal I'm more worried about exposing my beer to excess oxygen. I used it a few times for primary fermentation and never experienced any infection problems.

I currently use a 6 gallon PET carboy that seals perfectly with a rubber stopper. The opening is a bit larger than a standard glass carboy and it's also lighter than it's glass counterpart. The only downside is that the opening isn't big enough to reach into so you can't wipe it down from the inside, you have to use an alkaline cleaner like PBW.

You gotta remember that if you are gentle with your active fermentations, I nice pillow of CO2 should remain above your beer and protect it quite well. Being heavier than air, it creates an excellent protective barrier.

You gotta remember that if you are gentle with your active fermentations, I nice pillow of CO2 should remain above your beer and protect it quite well. Being heavier than air, it creates an excellent protective barrier.

If it's exposed to the atmosphere (i.e. not sealed) the CO2 will be driven to an equal concentration with the surrounding atmosphere. It's why a coke bottle will go flat a day or two after you open it even though the lid is on tight enough to prevent liquid from leaking out.

If it's exposed to the atmosphere (i.e. not sealed) the CO2 will be driven to an equal concentration with the surrounding atmosphere. It's why a coke bottle will go flat a day or two after you open it even though the lid is on tight enough to prevent liquid from leaking out.

[emoji108]🏽

Unfortunately, the PET BMB's are too tall to fit in my fermentation chamber without modifying the fridge. Might do this one day though.

If this were true, we'd all be dead.

brb let me get my ladder so i can breath o2 cause blanket of co2 is on the ground.

gasses don't stratify.

I have a couple Big Mouth Bubblers and i love them. Easier to sanitize and safer to work with. I also like being able to take gravity readings by dropping a sanitized hydrometer in the the top.

I have 4 (Midwest had a deal of buy 4 for the price of 3...) and I love them all. Yes, there is no airtight seal but I don't use mine for long-term aging.

Pros: Dryhopping is easy. Gravity samples are easy. Carrying is easy (I use the same brew hauler I bought for my 6.5gal glass carboy). No breakage risk.
Cons: less than airtight seal.

I've done 6 batches and have 3 more fermenting/waiting for transfer right now and have not had any off flavors or infections. I would gladly buy 4 more if I needed them.

Do it.

brb let me get my ladder so i can breath o2 cause blanket of co2 is on the ground.

gasses don't stratify.

Did you even read what I wrote? Try reading it one more time.

The concentration of CO2 (or any gas for that matter) inside a container will be driven to equilibrium with the surrounding atmosphere if it is permeable to the gas molecules.

Did you even read what I wrote? Try reading it one more time.

The concentration of CO2 (or any gas for that matter) inside a container will be driven to equilibrium with the surrounding atmosphere if it is permeable to the gas molecules.

lol i quoted the wrong post. dont get all worked up man. there i fixed it

gasses don't stratify.

God you people are dicks.

I have several BMBers that I use. I have not had an issue with them being airtight. But then again, I make sure after seeing signs of active fermentation that I give the lids a quick check to make sure they are on tight.

Post #4
I have two. They work good. Easy to clean and light.

Post #35
I have two. They work good. Easy to clean and light.
62.gif
41.gif
40.gif

WTF cgfjy?! You did this on one of my post too in another thread....

Last edited:
3 links to computer stalk. com in his post(spaces added so I don't add links), looks spammy

Back