Big Doppelbock Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syke0021

Reaction score
I brewed a huge doppelbock yesterday that is currently fermenting away at 50 degrees. I was shooting for 1.112, but my OG ended up at 1.114. I dosed it with a few minutes of oxygen before I pitched an entire yeast cake of 2124 Bohemian lager from a festbier I just racked. Fermentation started very quickly, especially for this strain, and everything is fine, for now...

I just realized that I'll likely run into alcohol tolerance problems with this yeast. The alcohol tolerance for this strain is 9%. I assume this means fermentation will stall out around 1.045. I was hoping to get it down to around 1.026 given the typical attenuation rate of this yeast without the alcohol tolerance issue.

I'll raise the temperature 65 degrees for a d-rest when fermentation slows, and won't likely record gravity until this is concluded. Maybe I'll get lucky and I won't have any problems, but I thought I'd reach out for advice on what to do if things do stall out. What should I do and when should I do it? Any feedback would be appreciated.

:mug:

You may end up just fine. I brewed a dopplebock last year with WY2206 that hit 11%. That strain has a similar tolerance to what you're using. I didn't even have the benefit of a full yeast like you (starter only).

Seems that most yeast will punch above their weight class when treated nicely...

What was the OG on the batch you used to produce the yeast cake? That may have a bigger impact on your current brew than anything else.

The whole yeast cake might be your savior. But here's a heresy- if it does stall higher than you want, go ahead and pitch a couple packets of dry ale yeast- maybe that San Diego super yeast stuff. Your lager characteristics should be set, and the additional pitch will just help with attenuation. Then lager it for practically forever..........
Good luck with your super goat juice. :mug: :D

What was the OG on the batch you used to produce the yeast cake? That may have a bigger impact on your current brew than anything else.

Great to hear reason for optimism from someone with experience! OG on the Festbier was 1.056 that attenuated to 1.012. It was made with a 2-liter starter of two packs of yeast. I'm a proponent of throwing lots of yeast at lagers. Hope it works out...

Great to hear reason for optimism from someone with experience! OG on the Festbier was 1.056 that attenuated to 1.012. It was made with a 2-liter starter of two packs of yeast. I'm a proponent of throwing lots of yeast at lagers. Hope it works out...

Smart man

Traditionally I believe they stopped the fermentation of doppelbocks anyway. So if you don't end up down to wear you want it it still may be delicious.

One doppelbock I made went down to 1.016 and it was a decent beer but not what I was after.

I have a sour raspberry doppelbock at 1.084 and the same brew but 1.094 going. Both got about 700 billion cells each. I'm about a month in... can't wait.

I brewed a 1.085 one recently which finished at 1.028, I thought it was going to be all nasty and sweet but it was actually amazing.

I'm pretty sure it's the lack of crystal malt that keeps them drinkable. I find beers with crystal malt that finish high can be rather undrinkable, but base-malt beers like doppelbocks seem to tolerate finishing a bit high. YMMV though, 1.085 isn't the same thing as 1.114

Good luck.

Back