Big batch brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitthewall79

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently had a lot of my friends inquire about my brew, enough that if I am going to make them all happy, and save myself time, I will need to make a 15 gallon batch. As I want to save myself time, and do everything in one primary, what do you guys recommend using? Also, I would like something with a spigot on it, is that asking too much, or can I get away with that?

Cheers

What about pot big enough to boil that much beer? Personally I'd recommend doing split batches. They're a lot of fun and you can experiment about different things like different yeast in each batch. What I often do is split the batch and then water down half so I get a weaker and stronger version of the same beer.

I do 15 gallon batches all the time. I usually target around 17 gallons though so that I have plenty after all losses. 15 gallon batches require 20 gallon fermenters. To do full boils and have head space, you'll need kettles that are 30 gallons (or close to it). Depending on what kind of beer you're doing, you'll need 25-30 gallon mash tun as well.

Overall, 10 gallon batches are much easier to get to. 20 gallon BK and mash tun and you can ferment in a sanke keg.

I have done big batches for quite a while and I use the following for 15 gallons in the fermenter:

18 gallon HLT
21 gallon Mash tun
26 gallon Boiler

I usually aim for 17 gallons in the recipes and ferment 15 gallons in a 17 gallon Conical from SS Brew Tech. Works very well for me.

Right mad scientist, way too much head space. Also, I forgot to mention, this is for wine, not beer, however there wasn't an equipment section in the wine making forum, so I figured you guys would know better anyways

If you something relatively cheap, here's some ideas:

1. 80-quart bayou classic with spigot, seal the lid with a sliced silicone hose and bungee cord to hold it down, drill a hole for a bung/vent.
2. Three 7-gallon fermonsters w/spigot

I do 15 gallon batches all the time. I usually target around 17 gallons though so that I have plenty after all losses. 15 gallon batches require 20 gallon fermenters. To do full boils and have head space, you'll need kettles that are 30 gallons (or close to it). Depending on what kind of beer you're doing, you'll need 25-30 gallon mash tun as well.

Overall, 10 gallon batches are much easier to get to. 20 gallon BK and mash tun and you can ferment in a sanke keg.
If he goes electric he can easily do 15 gallon brews with 20 gallon kettles... I brew mainly 11 gallon brews myself (sometimes 6) and use 16 gallon HLT and MT but only a 15 gallon BK never had an issue. you have way more control over the boil and preventing boil overs with electric... once in a while I have to add more water to my HLT but that not an issue as its heated and ready by the time im done mashing so..

I wouldnt "water down" my beer myself... It doesnt just change the alcohol level it makes the beer taste, well like watered down beer... a partigyle mash secondary beer is one way to actually brew a lighter beer with the left over runnings from the first... yes the beer would be lighter but brewed that way, its not the same as just watering down another beer.

I also use a stout 12.5 gallon conical fermenter and another no name thae same size for my 10.50 and sometimes 11 gallons that go into it... Never had an issue. sometimes I get some blowoff but thats what my blowoff tube is for right? a 17 gallon "half barrel" conical like ss brewing sells it for just that... 15.5 gallons so...

EDIT, since its for wine ignore everything but the last paragragh... kind of a big difference to not mention. and you dont "brew" wine

Right mad scientist, way too much head space. Also, I forgot to mention, this is for wine, not beer, however there wasn't an equipment section in the wine making forum, so I figured you guys would know better anyways

Spiedel does make a 100L Fermenter (26 gallon)

https://morewinemaking.com/products/speidel-plastic-storage-100-264-gal.html

Or just reduce your volume to 14 gallons and use their 60L fermenter:

https://morewinemaking.com/products/speidel-plastic-fermenter-60l-159-gal.html

I'd go 10 gallon if I could start again. I'm currently at 15-20 gallon sizes and it's a pain to manage and store.

That said 30 gallon brew and mash kettles, a 20g hlt will be enough. 1/2 barrel fermentors ss steel or Speidel work well. I have two Ss brewtechs. You'll need to consider kegs to serve as well. 10 gallon corney kegs are great when you can you can find them.

Don't forget fermentation control, old commercial fridges work great if you can find them used at auction. 15 gallons of beer will generate heat so plan for it.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any questions along the way

Back