Big Ass Texas Brown Ale (update)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty-Dawg

Reaction score
Ok guys,

I just racked my Big Ass Texas Brown Ale to the secondary after 4 days in primary.

OG was 1.054

SG = 1.010

I added one half oz. crushed Cascade pellets (dry hop)

Plan is to leave it in the Carboy for 2 weeks and then bottle it.

This was my first steeped grain brew. I also added 1 oz. of Amarillo hops (bittering) 40 min. In boil. 1 oz wilamette (flavoring) 10 min. In boil.

Looks good, smells good and tastes good. I hope it ends well.... I tried really hard to keep everything as sanitary as possible so I think I'm ok so far.

Your thoughts on this are welcome as always.

Cheers !
:mug:

You shouldn't dry hop for more than 4-5 days. Any more than that and you get unwanted aroma and flavor from the hops. Hope it comes out good!

Not all hops will contribute off flavors with long term hopping. I dry hopped with Centennial for two weeks, no problems. Check for some info on the hops you will be using.

By the way, 4 day primary time is very short for developing good flavors. Your beer is still full of CO2 in solution. The CO2 will scrub hop aroma from the beer as it off gases.

Back