BIAB, under the bag hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CUrchin

Reaction score
I've been thinking of trying putting hops under the BIAB bag while mashing and leaving them there through the boil to see what happens. I think of this idea as somewhere between mash hopping and first wort hops. I'd think worst case it would be about the same as FWH, but perhaps I'll gain something with the sustained lower temps. Any input?

Under the bag? You mean just adding to the kettle at your strike temp, outside the bag?

But wouldn't that leave the hop gunk in the kettle versus put the hops in a sack and removing them from the boil?

Sent from the window of an airplane...

I'd put them in a bag. Maybe at dough in, maybe 5 or 10 minutes in.

To clarify,by under the bag I mean under the BIAB bag.

Isn't that hop steeping? Saw it mentioned here the other day. Let us know the outcome. What recipe? What hop(s)? Pellet or whole?

A hop steep is generally when you add hops after the boil and let them sit in the hot wort. Since they don't ever boil, more delicate aromatics are preserved.

I'm thinking I'll take my regular pale Ale recipe, but rather than doing the bittering addition as a FWH like I usually do, I'll toss the hops bag under the BIAB bag 5 minutes into the mash and leave them there through the boil. I can't imagine it will make much of a difference, but I figure it is worth the experiment. Both primaries were just filled, so it's going to be a while before I get to try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Similar to a flameout addition?

The difference is, with a hop steep/hopstand you keep the wort at a high temp for 15-60 minutes to extract more from the hops. I typically do this between 180-190 degrees, not a flameout.

Back