biab on electric stove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liranc

Reaction score
hi, I'm going to brew on my electric stove and I wonder if I need some kind f false bottom or a colander to lift the bag from the kettle.
I know that with a propane it's not necessary but the electric stove stays hot for a period of time after you turn it off.
thanks

I brewed over 10 batches on my electric stove with no problems without false bottom. I still use 5 gallon paint strainer bags.

I have only done 1 BIAB so take my advise with a grain of salt but here's what I did:

1. Bring water in kettle to temperature on stove
2. Set kettle on kitchen floor (for ease of mashing in)
3. Put the bag in and mash in
4. Put lid on kettle and zip pot up in a sleeping bag
5. Stir every 15 min for an hour

That's all! It was pretty simple and I only lost about 3 degrees over the hour with it in the sleeping bag. I didn't use anything in the kettle and didn't have any problems with the bag scorching. You could just move the kettle to another burner that's not hot after you heat the water and before you put the bag in.

actually, i can't move the kettle to another burner cause the kettle is too wide and already sits on two burners. as captainkirk83 said he brewed on the electric stove without a problem so I'll give it a try but if that won't work I'll try mashing on the floor. thank you

The stove staying hot or warm can be used to your advantage to help keep the pot/water/mash up to temperature. Experiment with your stove, heat some water and when you reach your strike temp. turn off the heat and see if it keeps rising or remains stable, you may have to turn the heat back before you reach your desired temp. After the initial mash-in, opening the lid and stirring causes more heat loss and isn't really necessary.

The stove staying hot or warm can be used to your advantage to help keep the pot/water/mash up to temperature. Experiment with your stove, heat some water and when you reach your strike temp. turn off the heat and see if it keeps rising or remains stable, you may have to turn the heat back before you reach your desired temp. After the initial mash-in, opening the lid and stirring causes more heat loss and isn't really necessary.

thank you, i'll do the test with water before brewing.
my biggest concern is that the heat of the stove will scorch the bag

I used an electric stove for a long time with many different types of bags. Never had a scorching problem with the bags. The biggest issue I had, the burner left a permanent outline of the element on the bottom of my 10 gallon pot!

Moving a 10 gallon pot with 7-8 gallons of water back and forth from the stove to the floor could cause bigger problems than a not too probable scorched bag!

Even 5 gal pot would be risky IMHO.

I use an electric stove for 5 gallon BIAB. What I do is get the water up to mash temp, then turn the burner off and move the kettle to an unused portion of the stovetop where it stays until the mash is over. Then I move it back to the burner, turn it on, and start the boil.

I've never had any problems with scorching.

Back