BIAB Multiple Mashes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottRMitch

Reaction score
I don't have a huge kettle but I can handle a good 10-12 lbs. of grain. My question is, is there anything wrong with doing two mashes in a row?

So if I had 20 lbs of grain and I wanted to break it into two 10 lb. mashes I would basically hit my mash temp, mash in the first 10 lbs., maintain temp for an hour, remove that grain, add second 10 lbs., get back up to temp, maintain for an hour, remove that grain then proceed as usual.

I know I can supplement with DME/LME but grain is cheaper and time isn't an issue.

Thoughts?

If you could keep the pH of the wort at the right level for the second mash I think it might work. You would have to raise the wort temp to your initial strike temp again for the second mash. You might also have to add more water for grain absorption. I'm just guessing here, since I've never done it.....

Then sparge both bags in the same kettle of sparge water, combine all of the wort and boil...

Back