BIAB - Mashed too hot, high FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reibrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I did my first BIAB on the weekend. Was a ton of fun :)

I did 10# MO with ekg 1oz 60 / .5oz 15 / .5oz 5

Put the grains in at 170, temperature didn't drop much at all. Was around 165 for a few minutes, iced it, got to mid 160's for about 45 minutes.

I underestimated absorption and/or boil off rate and ended with 19L or about 5 Gallons, was supposed to be 5.5.

OG was 1055 which was about right according to the recipe, but it's been reading at 1022 for a few days in a row. Used s-04. Did this on Saturday, since Wednesday it's been the same read.

I should be fine? I plan on leaving it at least 2-3 weeks in any case.

It's probably going to stall out there as you mashed far too high. Beta amylase starts to denature around 156 IIRC, so you made a very dextrinous wort that doesn't have as much fermentable sugar as it should. I'd warm it up a few degrees and let it sit for another 3-5 days, then take a reading. If it's the same then, the only other option you have is amylase enzyme. Use half teaspoon and wait a few days. The reading should drop.

It WAS 165 , he iced it, and got it to "mid 160's". He probably meant mid 150's. So it will be fine. Send me some and I will tell you....

It WAS 165 , he iced it, and got it to "mid 160's". He probably meant mid 150's. So it will be fine. Send me some and I will tell you....

even 160 on the nose would have been too high for great attenuation. Plus, he said it's stalled. Even a slow yeast should drop gravity over a few days time if it's still chugging.

After I iced it, I had it down to 155 or so. I just checked my notes, but for some reason I thought I needed to get it up to 170 before putting the grains in. It was at about 165 for 5 minutes before I realized how hot it was. Learning :p

Thanks for the input, I'll leave it alone and update in a little whole.

After I iced it, I had it down to 155 or so. I just checked my notes, but for some reason I thought I needed to get it up to 170 before putting the grains in. It was at about 165 for 5 minutes before I realized how hot it was. Learning :p

Thanks for the input, I'll leave it alone and update in a little whole.

Well 155 is fine. 5 minutes isn't enough to denature beta amylase at 165 either. Give it some time then check again.

Back