BIAB Mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panfishrfun

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone puts their grains in the mash water as they heat it up to hit the different stages of mashing (acid/protein rest), or does everyone just heat up the water to the mash temp and put the grains in. I've only done BIAB once, and I did the second method. I was just wondering if it matters for flavor, efficiency, body, etc

I did the step mash when i started. I stopped after i made a few batches the easy way, simply because its a lot of work.

The only issue I've came across with step mashing is a lot of the protein will settle below the bag on the bottom of the kettle, if your fire is too hot it will scorch. I ruined a Belgian Golden Strong doing this, after mash I was reaching boil temps and noticed black flakes floating and realized I'd ruined it....

The only issue I've came across with step mashing is a lot of the protein will settle below the bag on the bottom of the kettle, if your fire is too hot it will scorch. I ruined a Belgian Golden Strong doing this, after mash I was reaching boil temps and noticed black flakes floating and realized I'd ruined it....

Can you just stir the wort to keep these proteins suspended, and avoid the scorching? Are there other issues that can arise from this?

Gandelf, do you have a post about your setup?
I'm set up to recirculate but haven't tried it yet. I was going manual but now you have me thinking automatic.

Back