BIAB kettle dimensions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycook

Reaction score
I thought I read once that a taller and more narrow grain column aids/increases efficiency. Do BIABers adhere to that or is it just personal preference for kettle dimensions? I'm thinking/dreaming of going from a 10 gallon pot to a 15 gallon pot. Thanks.

-Andy

I think a tall pot is better than a short round pot. I don't think the bag cares, if you use a bag. I use a basket with a bag liner for my 20 gal pot and just a mesh basket for my 10 gallon pot. If I had only one pot, 15 gallon tall would be what I got. Big enough to put a high SG beer in but small enough to do a mall batch in

A kettle with a greater height to width ratio will generally have less boiloff per hour (less surface area of liquid). But that's not going to be a factor in efficiency.

Now comes the fun part. Choosing a 15g kettle. It doesn't have to be fancy, nor expensive.

Taller and skinny (keg) is harder to clean the bottom than short and fat (Concord). The short fat kettle will feel much more empty when doing a small boil compared to a skinny kettle.

Thanks. It will come down to best price when I finally get to the point of pulling the trigger.

Taller and skinny (keg) is harder to clean the bottom than short and fat (Concord). The short fat kettle will feel much more empty when doing a small boil compared to a skinny kettle.

Most common brew kettles follow the 1.2 ratio height to width. The concord is more square w/ a 1.0 height to width. Typical 15 gallon size at 1.2 would be 16w X 19h whereas a concord would be 17 X 17, what I consider more of a "square" kettle.

Difference between a 1.2 and a 1.0 is not that significant IMO, I would avoid if possible the extreme short fat kettles, unless inexpensive or free.

Short fat IMO would be the older mega pots at 19w X 12h for a 15 gal.

Back