BIAB -- I am an idiot. Don't be like me.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirdboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Started my batch right at dawn this morning. I had pre-heated my strike water so it was just about ready to mash in immediately when I got up. I knew I was still a bit groggy, because I almost doughed in my BIAB without putting the bag in the pot first. Luckily, I came to my senses in time. Doughed in, and was a bit lower than my target mash temp, so I get the pump recirculating and turn on the burner until the temp is where I'd like it to be. Then I put the cover on the pot, and walked away to go prep some other stuff.

Came back 15 minutes later to realize that my mash temp is now 186F, because like the idiot I am, I left the burner going the whole time. Completely ruined the batch before it even got started.

Luckily, it was only a 5 gallon batch of a mild, so I only lost about $8 worth of grain along with my self esteem.

I went in for a moment after i fired up (to get a coffee) and came out to a flame shooting out the side of the burner!!! The air shutter had caught fire and was in the process of melting the fuel line. Now I gather all my materials for doughing in before I fire up, and I NEVER leave an open flame unattended.

Yeah so you'd think that I would have learned my lesson to watch the damn mash a bit closer, at least during the first 10-15 minutes, but NO the next morning I wake up at the crack of dawn and did EXACTLY THE SAME THING. I tried to rescue it by adding a few more pounds of Maris Otter, but it was still pretty starchy, even at the end of the boil, so instead of pitching my planned English strain, I drank the hell out of some sour beers and pitched the dregs in there...hopefully in a year it will give me a nice interesting sour to drink.

Yeah so you'd think that I would have learned my lesson to watch the damn mash a bit closer, at least during the first 10-15 minutes, but NO the next morning I wake up at the crack of dawn and did EXACTLY THE SAME THING. I tried to rescue it by adding a few more pounds of Maris Otter, but it was still pretty starchy, even at the end of the boil, so instead of pitching my planned English strain, I drank the hell out of some sour beers and pitched the dregs in there...hopefully in a year it will give me a nice interesting sour to drink.

Yer kill'in me.........:eek:

Full volume mash? You couldn't of added some cold water?
Even at a cost of too much boil volume, you could of added water, and then boiled for an extra 1/2 hr or so before beginning the hops additions.

Full volume mash? You couldn't of added some cold water?
Even at a cost of too much boil volume, you could of added water, and then boiled for an extra 1/2 hr or so before beginning the hops additions.

Adding water doesn't help much when you've already killed the enzymes.

Latest posts

Back