Biab... First attenpt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaMead

Reaction score
I am wondering how much different the grain bill needs to be? I know if it is a gallon cut it in 1/5 but besides that does the bill chain because of the bag?

Go to BIABrewer.info and download the BIABacus tool. It will help you convert recipes for BIAB. The guys there are also extremely knowledgable about BIAB. I think Beersmith will now convert for BIAB but I haven't used it.

I don't change my grain bill when I BIAB--I just adjust the mill for a finer crush. I have no problem getting between 70-80% efficiency. The biggest thing is your hot liquor temp-- don't trust Beersmith recommendation. When you BIAB with full volume, the temp only drops maybe one or two degrees when you dough in. Keep that in mind, as it's always easier to add heat than take it away.

Cathedral said:
I don't change my grain bill when I BIAB--I just adjust the mill for a finer crush. I have no problem getting between 70-80% efficiency. The biggest thing is your hot liquor temp-- don't trust Beersmith recommendation. When you BIAB with full volume, the temp only drops maybe one or two degrees when you dough in. Keep that in mind, as it's always easier to add heat than take it away.

I'll agree except with the heat point. I just stir until it is down to the correct temp. I find it easier to overshoot by a couple degrees than to undershoot. Stirring reduces the temp pretty fast. I hate needing to have boiling water on hand to increase temp. Personal preference, I suppose.

I'll agree except with the heat point. I just stir until it is down to the correct temp. I find it easier to overshoot by a couple degrees than to undershoot. Stirring reduces the temp pretty fast. I hate needing to have boiling water on hand to increase temp. Personal preference, I suppose.

You have a good point. I guess it depends on your setup. My burner can add a few degrees in a few minutes, so I aim low.

Makes sense. I am scared to apply direct heat with the mash because I'm afraid of burning the grains or my paint strainer bag. Whatever works.

Makes sense. I am scared to apply direct heat with the mash because I'm afraid of burning the grains or my paint strainer bag. Whatever works.

Stir while applying heat-it will prevent burning, but more importantly, its the only way to get an accurate temp reading.

I'm going to seriously look into some smaller scale BIAB stuff.. Just to get used to it see how I do with it etc. I was thinking 2g batches will be good w/ my Brew Pot on the glass top. Thats about what I boil for a partial anyway.

I find that when I use a BIAB mash profile, Beersmith nails the temps. Every time, it's right on. My last brew, Beersmith said heat the water to 153.7 for a 150 mash. I heated to 154 and the temp after adding all the grain was right on 150. But I think your point is correct--you don't need to heat as much over the mash temperature as your might with a different method.

How much wort loss to grains do y'all get? I recently moved to biab from trad all-grain, and last time I lost more than I expected, about a gallon. Perhaps I didn't let it drain long enough

How much wort loss to grains do y'all get? I recently moved to biab from trad all-grain, and last time I lost more than I expected, about a gallon. Perhaps I didn't let it drain long enough

Sounds like you aren't squeezing the bag.

I lose very little to the grains. By the time I quit squeezing the bag of grains they come out just damp. If you lost a gallon you didn't squeeze hard enough. If you lost that much and didn't do some kind of a sparge step you left a lot of sugars behind too.

The first and only time I did I filled to 7 quarts for 5 3/4lbs of grain. I then did a second steeping in another pot with 2 1/2 quarts and a third steeping with 1 quart. By the time I poured everything in to the main pot I had about 9 quarts in there.

I did not squeeze the bag, so roughly 1 1/2qts lost. If I had squeezed the bag (which I now have learned is important) I probably could have gotten maybe a pint out of it. So I probably would have lost maybe 1/2 a pint per pound.

I see, I used a large boiler basket that came with my kettle to mash. when it was done I rigged up a stand out of two boards, let it drain and pressed a smaller pot down onto the bag that was now suspended above the kettle. I only pressed for about 10 seconds, I didn't want to press too hard, so that may be the problem. Anyone see something wrong with that procedure?

I have used the BIAB method twice now and have troubled maintaining a constant mash temp. I am using a 9 gallon SS brew pot with only an inch headspace with all the grains and water . I also wrapped blankets around it, covered the pot etc
Anyone have any tips on what I can do to maintain the mash temp ?

I have used the BIAB method twice now and have troubled maintaining a constant mash temp. I am using a 9 gallon SS brew pot with only an inch headspace with all the grains and water . I also wrapped blankets around it, covered the pot etc
Anyone have any tips on what I can do to maintain the mash temp ?

Where do you measure the mash temperature and how cold is it where you are brewing?

My thermometer goes to the center of the mash and I brew indoors where it is 72 F. My temperature never drops more than a degree or 2 during the mash.

Where do you measure the mash temperature and how cold is it where you are brewing?

My thermometer goes to the center of the mash and I brew indoors where it is 72 F. My temperature never drops more than a degree or 2 during the mash.

+1

During the summer with no insulation I haven't lost more than 2 degrees F during a 90 min full volume mash. During winter with my pot wrapped with a heavy blanket I lose about 1 degree F.

Back