BIAB FFF Gumballhead Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kfun123

Reaction score
I am starting to plan my next brew day and I am thinking about trying a Three Floyds Gumballhead clone. After a number of searches I have put together a recipe that I think will work, I would appreciate any feedback you all have. The biggest difference I can see between my recipe and the original is the ABV of 4.47% vs 5.6% of the real thing. But I am not sure what I could do other than change my yeast (which I would rather not do since London 1968 is the FFF house yeast).

Nearly Gumballhead
Recipe Type: All Grain
Efficiency: 70%
Yeast: Wyeast 1968 London ESB
Starter: No
Batch Size: 6 Gallon
Original Gravity: 1.049
Final Gravity: 1.015
Estimated ABV: 4.47%
IBU:37.75
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Color: 4.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation: 7 - days

Grain Bill:
6# Great Western Malting Premium 2-Row
5# Briess Red Wheat Malt
.5# Aromatic Malt

Hops:
.25 oz Amarillo 10.3% AA First Wort
.25 oz Amarillo 10.3% AA 60 min
1 oz Amarillo 10.3% AA 15 min
1.5 oz Amarillo 10.3% AA 5 min
1.5 oz Amarillo 10.3% AA 1 min
3 oz Amarillo 10.3% AA Dry-Hopped 7 days

60 mash no sparge BAIB with water to grain ratio ~2.7.
Ferment at 66-68 F.
Once FG reached Dry hop of 7 days

Thanks for the help.

Looks tasty. I have had gumballhead exactly twice and really enjoyed it both times. Your recipe looks tasty, report back if you would how close to clone it is and it'll probably be in my future as well.

A GH clone was our very first BIAB, and it was incredibly similar to the original. We quickly had to make a second batch. I'm going by memory, but I'm pretty sure we used 6 lb of wheat malt and 5 lb of 2 row. We used caravienne instead of aromatic, but I'm not experienced enough to know what the differences are. If your BIAB efficiencies aren't the greatest, you might consider adding another lb of 2 row.

I'm pretty sure we used US-05 yeast, but the 1968 sounds very interesting. Please let us know how that turns out.

Your early hop additions are identical, but your late ones are all a lot higher than what we used. I don't see this being a problem. ;)

For our second batch, we subbed out some of the late additions with citra, and it was amazing.

Good luck!

I also did something similar. More wheat than 2 row and also used Cara-20. The first time just Amarillo and it was pretty good though not exactly Gumballhead. I brewed it again recently with late additions of Citra 1:1 with the Amarillo. Also good but the Citra overpowers the Amarillo. Would probably do 2:1 Amarillo:Citra next time. Used Us-05 both times. I went off a recipe posted on here for a "Gumballhead inspired wheat".

Mine was 'inspired' by as well:

5lbs White Wheat
5lbs Two Row
1lb Crystal 20
2 hand fulls rice hulls

0.5 oz Amarillo (US) First Wort
0.5 oz Amarillo (US) 60 min Boil
0.5 oz Amarillo (US) 15 min Boil
1.25 oz Amarillo (US) 5 min Boil
1.0 oz Amarillo (US) 0 min Boil

Conan yeast propogated from Heady Topper

1.25 oz Amarillo (US) 5 days dry hop

I am carbing the keg right now and will report back.

I forgot to report back.

Overall this was a good beer. It got better over time. In the future, I will cut back the wheat and sub an extra lb of 2 row. I might also throw some Cascade or centennial in with the amarillo.

Back