BIAB batch #2: Green Tea Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrondaleBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
PXL_20230815_233334198.PORTRAIT.jpg

Brooklyn Brew Shop's Green Tea Pale Ale. Came out very nice! Not a ton of green tea flavor but it's a darn nice pale ale, and the color is fabulous (looks better in person). Loving small batch BIAB! Cheers all!

What size pot and bag are you using? I'm thinking about doing some small (1-2) gallon BIAB brews after my first couple extract brews are finishing.

What size pot and bag are you using? I'm thinking about doing some small (1-2) gallon BIAB brews after my first couple extract brews are finishing.
For 1-gallon batches I've been using a 3-gallon pot, which works well for the water level relative to the grain in the bag and lets me put space behind the bag for a sous vide. For context I start with 2 gallons of water and that has worked perfectly for me with the boil-off rate for that pot and the grain absorption (I do no sparge and squeeze the bag).

For the bag, I measured the pot and ordered a custom Brew Bag using the dimensions. It's slightly awkward since I'm clipping it forward to put the sous vide in (see pic) but it works. It's also a little awkward since I think maybe the measurements you give to Brew Bag don't consider that you might want or need to pull the bag over the handles of the pot, so in the end I do wish the bag was a bit larger.

For my next batch I'm going to use a Northern Brewer Gigawort and got the bag specifically for the Gigawort from Brew Bag.

I think once I really get rolling I'm going to typically do 2 or 2.5-gallon batches, for which I'll use my Anvil 5.5-gallon pot, and I also got a Brew Bag sized for that pot. We'll see how that goes when I get there.

As I'm typing this I'm thinking, "Why didn't you just get one big brew bag for the largest pot you're going to use and use that for all the pots?" which is probably valid; there'd just be excess material to deal with I suppose.

I will say depending on your setup you definitely want to do a test of the pot-bag-water situation before you brew by putting the amount of starting water you're going to use for your batch in your pot (which depends on whether or not you're going to sparge or not), and then stick the bag in there so you can get an idea of how the water level works out and how you have to clip your bag. I know for my setup if I'd been figuring that all out when I was trying to start actually brewing I would have been stressed out. :)

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• PXL_20230723_200023466.jpg
    PXL_20230723_200023466.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Back