BIAB and Oatmeal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exileonmainst

Reaction score
Are there any special considerations when using oatmeal in a BIAB brew?

I recently brewed a hoppy pale ale with oats (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=463439) and I feel like the oats did not convert in the mash or something.

The grain bill was 85% 2-row and 15% flaked oats. I ordered the flaked oats from morebeer, so I'm sure they were the right kind to brew with. I mixed the grain and oats together in the mash and stirred it thoroughly every 15-20 minutes. I mashed at 150 for 60 min with a 10 min mashout at 170.

The finished beer is cloudy, but somewhat clear. It's way too clear for a beer with that much oats. It also doesn't have that thick/creamy mouthfeel that a oatmeal beer has. I ended up with an OG of 1.056 when Brewer's Friend estimated 1.062. So I'm wondering, did the oats not convert or something? Did the oat wort not make it through the mesh of the bag? I have a wilsbeer bag, so i think the threading is pretty tight.

There shouldnt be any difference using oatmeal or any flaked grains in BIAB as opposed to regular 3 vessel brewing. Maybe the oats were old or something. If you want to really get that oatmeal character, next tiem try toasting 1/2lb or so in your oven. It really makes the oatmeal stand out more and gives it that cookie flavor. And just add more oats I guess

Tip: dont waste money ordering oats from a homebrew store. Just buy 1-minute or "quick" oats from your grocery store. Much cheaper

I was under the understanding that unless you used "instant" oats you needed to cook them prior to mashing. Would that have an impact?

Are there any special considerations when using oatmeal in a BIAB brew?

I recently brewed a hoppy pale ale with oats (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=463439) and I feel like the oats did not convert in the mash or something.

The grain bill was 85% 2-row and 15% flaked oats. I ordered the flaked oats from morebeer, so I'm sure they were the right kind to brew with. I mixed the grain and oats together in the mash and stirred it thoroughly every 15-20 minutes. I mashed at 150 for 60 min with a 10 min mashout at 170.

The finished beer is cloudy, but somewhat clear. It's way too clear for a beer with that much oats. It also doesn't have that thick/creamy mouthfeel that a oatmeal beer has. I ended up with an OG of 1.056 when Brewer's Friend estimated 1.062. So I'm wondering, did the oats not convert or something? Did the oat wort not make it through the mesh of the bag? I have a wilsbeer bag, so i think the threading is pretty tight.

I've had the same results with oats in my Pale Ale attempts. All were mashed around 150. I'm thinking I will up the temp to 154 to see if that makes a difference.

I have always cooked oatmeal. IME it takes boiling to get a good gel on them, they are kinda hardy.

Interesting and makes sense. I've only putted dry in with the malts and thought thats the way its done. If you cook them and the recipe calls for say 1lb. Do you cook 1 lb dry oats and put it all in or do you only put 1 lb of the cooked oats in? Not having done the math or experiment, I'm guessing the oats double in weight once cooked due to the water.

Just so I understand this... you're saying you cook the oats as if you were making a bowl of oatmeal? And then dump the oatmeal into the mash?

Just so I understand this... you're saying you cook the oats as if you were making a bowl of oatmeal? And then dump the oatmeal into the mash?

depends on what type of oats you get. I only buy "quick" or "1-minute" oats from the grocery store. Much cheaper than flaked oats from a brewing store and they can just be directly added to the mash

Yes, I used regular old fashioned oat meal, cooked the old fashioned way and added it to the mash. I don't think they were the instant 1 minute kind, the kind in the cardboard paper drum with the Quaker guy :)

Back